Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing new puppy to other dogs in house

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by wench85, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

I have recently got an 8 week old Samoyed and we already have 2 dogs in the house. A male Border Collie and a female Golden Retriever, both 1 year old.

Within 10 minutes of bringing the new puppy in to the house the golden retriever was growling at him and had pinned him down and tried to bite him, I pulled her away but kept trying to get at him. She is normally good with other dogs, inside and out of the house. For the last month or so she has been quite snappy with the cats which she normally did not bother with. I am intergrating the puppy to her slowly with supervised play times but she still has not taken to him. The Border Collie gets on really well with the puppy and she will sit and watch them play together and seems to want to join in herself i'm just worried if we let her go she may hurt him. I know it is not uncommom for dogs to take a dislike to new puppies but was not sure of the level of aggression she would show towards him.
    When the puppy has had all of his injections I will take them all out together and hopefully on neutral ground they will get on better.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem or would know the best way of dealing with it?

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I have only introduced adult dogs and I have found that walking is the key into making a pack.

Hopefully somebody with more experience will be along x

3. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Yes, walking beside each other on lead, gradually getting closer can be a great help with getting dogs to bond with each other.

4. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

This evening we took the puppy downstairs in to the lounge to see the other dogs for a while. The retriever seemed to be happy with him as long as she knew she was getting something, like food or if she was going to steal his toy and for a good half an hour we supervised them and made sure he didn't bother her too much and it all seemed ok. The puppy started to get hyper and was biting me and my mum, the retriever instantly growled at him and tried to tell him off, not sure how far she could have taken it.
    I'm not sure if she is taking to him or knows that she can obtain something from being nice to him for a while?

5. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

We have two older yellow labs, Jake and Maisie, and recently bought a little stafford puppy who is now 10 weeks old. The two labs both have lovely temperments both with people and other dogs however, they do not like our little stafford very much at all. Jake, who has always been submissive, just ignores him and wanders away when the pup gets too close. Maisie has gone for him on two occasions, though, like Jake, she tends to just avoid him. Fortunately the pup does not pester them too much, he just watches them with keen interest, I know he would love a game though.

I too am hoping that when they can go out for walks together the labs may bond with the puppy, Alfie. Things are getting a bit better, both the labs allowed Alfie to lick their face yesterday, very briefly, before they wandered off! I guess it's just a matter of time and patience and allowing them to go at their own pace.

Good Luck.

6. wench85

wench85 PetForums Newbie

She played with the puppy for a good while in the garden today, even let him have a toy without growling, but this evening we took them all in to the lounge and if he went near her when she had a toy she could growl and become aggressive towards him. Also we took him around to a friends house and they all went in the garden, where they appeared to be getting along fine. Hopefully it will all calm down in time and they can play happily together. It just seems to be when he's inside, especially in the lounge that she doesn't get on with him.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I was told some good advice about bringing a puppy home.

Have your older dogs in the room with you when the puppy is there.
    Start by having the puppy on your knee/next to you, and keep rewarding your other dogs when thy are calm.
    When the puppy goes away (to bed or whatever) put the other two dogs away. Make them learn that having the puppy around is a pleasant thing.
    Obviously this will take more than a day but you won't have to do it forever.

Also, make sure the older dogs are exercised before this training. And rather than leave the puppy at home, either make a sling for him (I made one out of an old sheet) or get a child carrier and carry the pup on your front to bring him on walks too.

Make sure the older dogs get some one on one time too so they don't feel left out.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It took my older dog about 2 days to accept and love the pup. She growled at her and snapped at her but it is unlikely an older dog will hurt a pup and the pup should take the warning and back off so I left them to it when I was there and made sure the pup was in her cage when they were left. Within a couple of days they were best friends but I still didnt leave them together if I wasnt around. For about the first month the pup was always put in her cage. Obviously there will be some growling as the older dog puts the pup in its place but that is quite normal and so long as you are there to make sure it doesnt escalate I would tend to let them learn how to interact with each other without intefering too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice