Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing new kitten - constant swatting

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Natrc, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Natrc

Natrc PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. We have a 7 month female old cat (Lucy), she is amazingly friendly, and we noticed she was showing signs of loneliness, especially when we were out at work.

After much thinking we decided to bring in a companion cat. We brought home an 8 week old male kitten.

His room is our bedroom, and Lucy has the living room like she always has from being a kitten.

We were hoping to do things slowly but our older cat Lucy keeps clawing at our bedroom door and destroying the carpet, so we decided to see if they would get along.

Initially a few hisses were exchanged. This died down and now she keeps following him around and swatting him with the occasional growl. The kitten is not bothered, he just gets a little startled when she swats, and he doesn't appear to be hurt (she isn't drawing claws).

I'm now debating whether to go back to basics and start again by separating completely. I'm unsure, my mum has adopted lots of cats through the years and has always just introduced them straight away and eventually they got along after a few days/weeks, so she says just keep going and supervise them always (and obviously separate at night). Any advice on what you would do in this situation? TIA

2. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

I'm with your mum. Sounds like theyre just working out the hierarchy and Lucy is making sure she's at the top xxx

3. Natrc

Natrc PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. Its so confusing with all the info online, and lots of resources contradict eachother.

Currently we did slow introductions with breaks this morning and he has been in the living room with us since 3pm (its now 8pm). Our older cat is still completely fixated on him. She has started chasing him around and pinning him down and biting him. He lets out annoyed/get off me meows but doesnt seem to phased, gets straight up and bounds away to play with his toys. Not sure what to think currently tbh but going to persist for now and if all hell breaks loose then we will go back to basics and do a very slow introduction.

Lunarags likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice