Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing new cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cloudygirl, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Anyone had any trouble with Smilla as a new food?

As you know I've been trying to get my Jo onto a variety of foods that are good in content and readily available but he does have a very sensitive stomach.

Had some Smilla come the day before yesterday. Put a small bit in their brekkie yesterday morning (about an 1/8 each of their normal dinner maybe slightly more but just a dollop). Anyway last night when I got home put their food down with the same, regular pate tray bit of smilla mixed in. He did his usual where he eats a bit and then keeps going back later. About 15 mins after that he did a poo (usual form when I'm changing the litter they like to fight each other to christen the tray :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) and it was solid but had a bit of blood in it. Bright red blood. He's never had blood in his poop before that I've noticed.

I took the rest of the Smilla back up because I was a bit worried and gave him some feline fayre instead which he loves. He's been fed his usual pate/feline fayre combo this morning at 6am and pooed just and no blood at all. Seems to be running round the place like a looney as usual so no more adverse effects at the moment so I'm not thinking vets although any more blood in poo I will.

Do I persist with the smilla and just give it in even smaller quantities and really gradually build it up or do you think it's best not to feed him that again at all. I can give it to my other cat as he seemed pretty taken with it.

His problem with cat foods if they don't agree with him normally is sloppy poop as I said never seen blood before but this morning it's like I imagined the whole thing.

2. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Oh dear, I feel your pain with the whole sensitive stomach thing, the first god knows how many months with Kazuki was just a constant battle with his stomach. He's on Smilla now and his tummy is the best it's ever been, but I had to wean him onto it over a period of a couple of weeks, and I had to start off by giving him plain chicken until he was solid and then adding a tiny bit of Smilla to the chicken gradually increasing every day.

He's still very sensitive though, I have to watch him like a hawk. He managed to sneak a bit of carrot cake off the worktop the other day (even though it was in it's packaging :rolleyes::) and I'm still dealing with the fallout from that. :glare:

3. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

Bright red blood means that it came from right at the very end of his digestive tract. Any from higher up gets digested and turns the poo dark. Generally red blood isn't that much to be worried about. I'd try it again and see what happens. :)

#3 HannahKate, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  4. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

well as I said he doesn't seem to be feeling the effects of it today

Sorry for the mess they are destructive little monsters - this is the undecorated loft bedroom aka the boys room

YouTube - Project of Sat 09 Apr 2011 02:48:31 AM PDT

he's the leaping one

would feel a bit daft taking this to the vets.

5. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Just a bump to say they've finished the Smilla tin and no more blood and no diarrhoea at all.

Have given Joby sensitive tum less of it though. Hope he never gets that again. it scared me to death

6. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

The only 'problem' I've found is that two out of three cats refused to eat it :rolleyes: And weirdly, the one who does like it is the one with the dodgy tum in my household. Contrary cats ;)

With regards to blood in poo, perhaps you could give your vet a call just to put your mind at rest? Most vets will give advice over the phone free of charge. But, if it happens again, a vet visit may be in order. Good luck :)

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Not familiar with cats but if in ANY doubt its always best to get advice from a vet either over the phone or in person. Likewise please be very careful about the information you read OR put on the internet regarding advice in this situation. It may cost someone a dear pet. :)

8. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I did end up ringing the vet and they said if I noticed anything else bring him straight in.

He's happy as anything again today though and poop is all fine. He's eating, drinking and playing as normal.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I assume this is the first time this has happened but do keep a good eye on this though. It can be sign of colitis and in some cases worms can be a cause.

Some people find changing to a grain-free diet helps. Thought I'd mention this just in case it applies (ed)

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Likewise! And I didn't like it either!! All that congealed fat and I had difficulty prising it out of the tin!! Ended up giving it to a neighbour though not sure how hers fared with it.

11. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Yes first time. They've both been wormed fairly recently and I already have him on a pretty much grain free diet anyway but I will def keep an eye on it. Anything else and he'll be straight to the vets.

12. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

another update. Poo still fine but I haven;t given him any more of the Smilla in case. I was too worried in the end about it. Will have to cross that one off the list and Bobbins will have to nosh whats left.

He's an absolute looney tonight so can't be feeling any ill effects.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice