Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

introducing my puppy to an older jrt

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mindymoo, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

We will be bringing my Poppy home in about 3-4 weeks and we have a good friend with another jrt (3yrs) a very placid wee girl she is too. We want to introduce them early on as we spend a lot of time together and would love them to get on, do you have any hints or tips for a good bonding?? x

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would let them meet in a neutral place, somewhere where the older dog isn't protective of (such as her own home) but a comfortable safe enviroment.
    Maybe your garden.
    Keep them on a loose lead, don't let it tighten as this can make a dog anxious, and let them have a good sniff. If all seems Ok let them both off and supervise.
    They will probably have a pretty good rough and tumble and the noise they make will probably sound pretty vicious to you - but unless there is real snapping and snarling they are just playing.
    Best of luck - I'm sure they'll make great friends. Most dogs will be very tolerant of very young puppies it's as they get a little older they tend to get themselves told off.

3. mindymoo

Thanks for the reply I will definatley try it xx

4. mindymoo

What age do you think is suitable to introduce them, Poppy is 6 weeks and Mia is 3yrs??

5. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

I introduced my JRT (Ginny - 9 weeks) to my mums JRT (JJ - about 2 yrs) last weekend in my brothers garden. It was the first time she'd met another dog since leaving the litter. My mums JRT was actually a bit scared of Ginny at first, but we let them get on with it (on leads) and gradually they got closer and made friends. They then had three fantastic play sessions all over my brothers garden (stopping for rests of course). Even though she lost every "bout" (rolled over legs in the air - so funny) she was up and at the older dog every time after a few seconds. I think they both had a lovely time and it really did Ginny good. After they just sat/laid around good as gold while we had tea. I don't know if this is normal, or we were very lucky.

Debs x

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

hi 6 weeks seems a bit young, ideally she should still be with her mother.

Our jrt is 12 now and he has had to get use to my 2 borders from pups they were introduced from 8 weeks, always supervised, he was 9 when i had my 1st border, the first meeting was with pup in crate and jrt could sniff through the bars, then we took them in the garden to meet. no problems, and they are the best of friends now all of them.

good luck with Poppy, my one border is a Poppy:) great name

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Mum was worried that Cheeko wouldn't get along with Blu so when we got him we took Cheeko to the breeders house with us and he met him there. He wasn't very impressed :p But on the way home Mum sat in the back with Cheeko on her knee and Blu in a crate next to them. I wish I'd got to sit in the back but I was stuck driving listening to mum going 'awww look at him' :( But we brought them over to the house and they've been fine. Cheeko's always been an only dog and the type of dog that you would think wouldn't take well to another dog in the house but he's started playing with Blu and it's been fine :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice