Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing me and poppy, oh and some advice please??!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by charlznpoppy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. charlznpoppy

charlznpoppy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I have just joined the forum today and wanted to say hello and introduce myself and my feline friend!

She is called Poppy, she is 10 weeks and 3 days old and is all black with light spots and a little white dog collar!

We have de fleaed her, wormed her, had her injections done and got her ear drops for her ear mites. She is the best cared for kitty I know!!

I love her to pieces but the only thing is I dont think she loves me quite as much. She will cuddle up to my partner and rub against him and fall asleep on his lap etc. But all she wants with me is to bite and claw me, or even jump on my head!!!

Yet I am the one who feeds her, cleans her litter tray out, plays with her and I get no thanks and am not feeling very rewarded. What am I doing wrong?

I have been looking forward to getting a kitten for 3 years and I adore her, but I just feel a bit let down sometimes.

We have had her since she was 5 weeks and 6 days old as her mother rejected her as the runt of the litter (she is tiny) and so we took her off our friends hands.

She is very playful, yet not destructive and loves her millions of toys that she has (my living room could almost be a pet shop).

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks

Charlotte.x

2. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Hi Charlotte, welcome to Petforums :)

She does sound like a very well looked after kitty, lucky Poppy. Such a shame she was rejected by Mum, did you hand rear her?
    It's not nice to feel rejected, especially when you love them so much. I have seen other posts on here saying the same thing, have you searched through old posts? I know that can be time consuming and is nicer to have advice tailored for you. I'm sure some pearls of wisdom will come soon, people are very helpfull here.

Sorry i'm not one with pearls of wisdom! But hope you find a way of bonding without getting your head jumped on! :)

3. seasidejules

seasidejules PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling a bit left out - I can understand that it's frustrating, especially when you're the one doing all the less fun parts!

I'm certainly not an expert in these matters but I have read that cats can be quite contrary creatures, and that they often have a tendency to shy away from the one person who's really looking for cuddles! They are of course very independent by nature, and from the limited experience I've had (I did grow up with a cat) it seems that they prefer to be the one to initiate contact.

Maybe you could try maintaining a slightly more aloof demeanour around Poppy, and only respond to her when she comes to you - then when she does do something that makes you feel truly wanted, give her lots of praise and perhaps a treat of some kind. That way she'll definitely associate you with 'good things' and also feel that it's all been her idea all along, so she'll be happier with it?

Just a thought anyway! I hope you get a bit more affection soon! Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice