Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing me and Max

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ChuckC, Nov 16, 2012.

1. ChuckC

ChuckC PetForums Newbie

Haven't joined a new forum in a long time, but here goes.

I'm Chuck, from Central Illinois, USA. Over the last sixty years, I've had quite a few dogs, from several breeds, but the breeds I love above all others are german shepherds and border terriers. I was, 15 years ago, a dog show competitor and breeder, and a sysop on the old Compuserve Petsforum, but when arthritis took away my ability to show my dogs, I pretty much walked away from all of it. Over the years my borders passed over, of old age, generally taking their last breath while held in my arms. When Missy, my last puppy, passed in 2010 at age 13, I honestly thought that there was no more love in me for another dog.

Then came Max. On Christmas Eve of 2010 we were driving to a family thing, and there was a young german shepherd approaching cars on the highway. We stopped and coaxed him off the road, then stayed with him while we called animal control. We made it clear that if no one else claimed him, we would. They thought he was about three - I took one look at his paws and head and said barely a year. Now he's really about three and a lot bigger.

Max is a gorgeous dog. If he had papers, I'd have no qualms at all about showing him. I just can't imagine anyone dumping him or not trying to find him. Whoever had him, he was well cared for, but I'm convinced that they were attempting to train him for police work without knowing what they were doing. He's never been a mean dog, but he was very aggressive if he didn't get his way. He never really tried to bite, but he would push people or grab their clothing to try to make hem go where he wanted. After almost two years of gentle but firm corrections, a lot of affection and a lot of treats, most of that behavior is gone, though he still give in to rare episodes of running and meaningless threats. Just more for me to work on.

But the good part is that I was wrong about not having any love for another dog.

2. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

Huge welcome to the forum Chuck. I'm sorry to hear that arthritis took away your chance to show and that all your lovely dogs have now passed away.

It's wonderful to hear about Max though. He has definitely been given another chance and it sounds like you are the perfect owner. Would love to see photos of the lovely Max at some point :D :D

3. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

I love the idea that Max just walked into your life like that..

Sometimes chance encounters work out so well....

4. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, dear Chuck.

5. joyous growler

joyous growler PetForums Member

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the PF.:) Nice to meet you here.

Let me to mention that both of us, you and I have similar approach concerning animals - if I may say so.;)

I also love them and had nearly forty different dogs in my lifetime. I wrote about them here at the dog chat section if my memory serves me well.

Roll, my GSD left us behind exactly eight months and one day ago. Zizi, a 6 and a half year's Labrador mix is my joy and comfort since then.

My opinion is that you can live without animals, but it's not worth it.:)

So long,

Alex

6. ChuckC

ChuckC PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the welcomes. I think the only time in my life that I did not have a dog was the year I spent in a dormitory in college. There've been a couple of occasions after a particularly hard loss when I thought I couldn't bear to sign on again - it just leads to heartache in the end. The longest lasted perhaps three months.

Dogs have gotten me through catastrophic illness, personal loss, and terrible times. They are an anchor for your soul, a commitment that you cannot ignore. Their love is absolute - know some people don't feel this way (and don't understand it) but how can mine be any less?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice