Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing Maya... and (possibly) Max

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I finally managed to talk round both my parents and the CPL that taking two kittens would be better than just one. However all the others in Maya's litter are already reserved and I've had my eye on this little black and white furball for a while :D

There is 3 weeks between them, could this cause problems? They are different sexes but will be spayed/neutered as soon as my vet will do it.

I also have an existing cat, I've been reading lots about the best ways to introduce (safe rooms, scent swapping etc) but is having 3 different cats to introduce to each other a disaster waiting to happen?

I've heard that kittens can easily accept other kittens, even from different litters and I've also seen it at the CPL (they put any "leftover" or single kittens into a pen together and hope they get on :rolleyes: and usually they do. so there's a few pens with 6 or 7 kittens all from different litters) so should introducing the two kittens be easy enough?

The black and white male is extremely laid back and very confident around other cats, happily runs up to another cat and will sit there will being hissed and swatted at.
    I haven't seen Maya around any non related cats but she's quite bold and confident with people at the foster home.

Ok, time to show you my beautiful new babies :tongue_smilie:

Maya:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Black and white baby, We haven't chosen a name yet but we're considering Max. but I'd love to hear some suggestions.

We've currently nicknamed him Batman, can you guess why? haha

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Oh my :001_wub: How cute are they :001_wub:
    The kittens should be okay together with such a small age gap and I think so long as you do the scent swapping and slow introductions they should be okay with your resident cat before too long :)

3. SilverCat285

I'll be getting the little boy first as he's older, he should be able to come home sometime within the next week.

Do you think if they spent the day together (and there was no serious fighting) they would be ok in the same room at night? I only really have one kitten proofed room that would be 100% safe to leave them in over night.
    All the other rooms have cables and tiny gaps etc. I'm too paranoid to leave them unsupervised in there until they're old enough in case they electrocute themselves or something like that.

I also have a large dog crate one of them (probably Maya as she's the younger one) could spend the night in

4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

They are gorgeous :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: I think they will get on well together.

Viv xx

5. danniandnala

danniandnala PetForums VIP

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I want batman he's so cute...you have to get him now...I think they'll be ok you've got age on your side xxx

6. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

stick with batman or zorro:Dor hero?

7. SilverCat285

As much as Batman suits him, I don't really want to sit in the vets and have them call "Batman" in :rolleyes:
    Also my neighbours think I'm weird enough without shouting Batman out the window everyday haha

My parents think Max but I don't think it really suits him.

Hmm Zorro and hero are good, or Bandit

8. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

Maya and Zeus or dr seuss:)

Attached Files:

#8 moggiemum, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

If he is that confident, you should call him Zorro :D

I think it would be good to have two kittens, they can play with each other, and will hopefully leave the older cat in peace. A kitten will look for a playmate, and a second kitten will be the obvious choice.

Romeo and Connor have been 'harrassing' each other from the word GO, leaving the other, older, cats in peace most of the time.

Edit..
    I hadn't even read the previous post naming him as Zorro when I suggested the name.
    Great minds think alike.....

#9 Jiskefet, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  10. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

When you get the first kitten, give him more than one cat bed, and send one of them to the rescue for Maya to sleep in. Maybe get a cat bed to Maya, too, and simply swap them after a week or so. That way, they will carry each other's scent and they will not be total strangers when they meet for the first time. If you can get the all the cats' scents on towels, you could swap scents with the resident cat, too....

11. SilverCat285

When I was at the shelter today the manager mentioned bringing Maya in from foster care and putting her in with "Batman" until she is old enough to go.

It would be great if they were already used to living together when they came home and they'd both come home on the same day.

However that would obviously mean taking her away from her mother and siblings earlier so I'm not sure what would be better. She's going to be 7 weeks old on Wednesday.

We got Pepsi at just under 7, he came from a farm where the two barn cats both had kittens and both had only black kittens. She was going to drown them if she couldn't "get rid" or them quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice