UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally managed to talk round both my parents and the CPL that taking two kittens would be better than just one. However all the others in Maya's litter are already reserved and I've had my eye on this little black and white furball for a while :D

There is 3 weeks between them, could this cause problems? They are different sexes but will be spayed/neutered as soon as my vet will do it.

I also have an existing cat, I've been reading lots about the best ways to introduce (safe rooms, scent swapping etc) but is having 3 different cats to introduce to each other a disaster waiting to happen?

I've heard that kittens can easily accept other kittens, even from different litters and I've also seen it at the CPL (they put any "leftover" or single kittens into a pen together and hope they get on :rolleyes: and usually they do. so there's a few pens with 6 or 7 kittens all from different litters) so should introducing the two kittens be easy enough?

The black and white male is extremely laid back and very confident around other cats, happily runs up to another cat and will sit there will being hissed and swatted at.
I haven't seen Maya around any non related cats but she's quite bold and confident with people at the foster home.

Ok, time to show you my beautiful new babies :tongue_smilie:

Maya:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Black and white baby, We haven't chosen a name yet but we're considering Max. but I'd love to hear some suggestions.

We've currently nicknamed him Batman, can you guess why? haha

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be getting the little boy first as he's older, he should be able to come home sometime within the next week.

Do you think if they spent the day together (and there was no serious fighting) they would be ok in the same room at night? I only really have one kitten proofed room that would be 100% safe to leave them in over night.
All the other rooms have cables and tiny gaps etc. I'm too paranoid to leave them unsupervised in there until they're old enough in case they electrocute themselves or something like that.

I also have a large dog crate one of them (probably Maya as she's the younger one) could spend the night in

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as Batman suits him, I don't really want to sit in the vets and have them call "Batman" in :rolleyes:
Also my neighbours think I'm weird enough without shouting Batman out the window everyday haha

My parents think Max but I don't think it really suits him.

Hmm Zorro and hero are good, or Bandit

·
Registered
11,996 Posts
As much as Batman suits him, I don't really want to sit in the vets and have them call "Batman" in :rolleyes:
Also my neighbours think I'm weird enough without shouting Batman out the window everyday haha

My parents think Max but I don't think it really suits him.

Hmm Zorro and hero are good, or Bandit
Maya and Zeus or dr seuss:)

Attachments

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
If he is that confident, you should call him Zorro :D

I think it would be good to have two kittens, they can play with each other, and will hopefully leave the older cat in peace. A kitten will look for a playmate, and a second kitten will be the obvious choice.

Romeo and Connor have been 'harrassing' each other from the word GO, leaving the other, older, cats in peace most of the time.

Edit..
I hadn't even read the previous post naming him as Zorro when I suggested the name.
Great minds think alike.....

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
When you get the first kitten, give him more than one cat bed, and send one of them to the rescue for Maya to sleep in. Maybe get a cat bed to Maya, too, and simply swap them after a week or so. That way, they will carry each other's scent and they will not be total strangers when they meet for the first time. If you can get the all the cats' scents on towels, you could swap scents with the resident cat, too....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was at the shelter today the manager mentioned bringing Maya in from foster care and putting her in with "Batman" until she is old enough to go.

It would be great if they were already used to living together when they came home and they'd both come home on the same day.

However that would obviously mean taking her away from her mother and siblings earlier so I'm not sure what would be better. She's going to be 7 weeks old on Wednesday.

We got Pepsi at just under 7, he came from a farm where the two barn cats both had kittens and both had only black kittens. She was going to drown them if she couldn't "get rid" or them quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.