Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing male chinchillas - any success?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Dyl_Chin, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Dyl_Chin

Dyl_Chin PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an almost three year old male chinchilla that I have recently re-homed (6 months ago). He has warmed up to me quite quickly, which is great, and I also try to let him out as many nights of the week as possible; however, I know they are very social animals, and I worry that he is not getting the amount of stimulus he desires without the interaction of another chinchilla.

So, my question is, has anyone successfully been able to introduce unrelated males as cage mates? I do not want offspring, so this is why I am not considering a females.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Be aware that no pairing is ever guaranteed, so a spare cage is important in case the pairing fails. A same sex kit is usually the best solution, sourced from a reputable breeder. I've successfully paired several same sex chins over the years, however, a couple of the pairings have ended in the chins having to be split permanently. Providing you are providing plenty of interaction and activities within the cage such as toys and plenty of safe chew items, your chinchilla may be quite happy living alone.

3. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Junior

[blank]

#3 Bjarki the Hooli, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice