Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing Kitten to new kitten? Tips please...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kezzy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi everyone.

Well we are going ahead and getting another kitten to give our 9week girl a playmate. We are hopefully going to pick up a male same age tonight. Any advice on when and how to introduce them? Thanks

2. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Any advice would be welcome, thanks

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

How exciting for you!!
    At this age i don't think you will have any problems.
    I did what you did. Had one kitten then 4 weeks later got another.
    I just came in and said " here's your new play mate" and let them get on with it.
    There was some slight hissing at first. He wouldn't let the new one play with his toys that night but within 3 days i found them sleeping together and they have been best friends ever since and that was 15 years ago.:D

Recently I adopted a one year old to them and this i did more carefully. For the first 3 days I kept the new one in a different room. In the evening i would bring him down in his pet carrier for about 30 minutes. There was again some hissing. I also got The other two cats to go in his room for a good sniff around.
    After 3 days i then let the new cat wonder around the same room as the other cats for a few minutes under my supervision. This i did for another few days, each day giving them longer together.
    Now they all get along fine!!

After a few days they will be fine and you will have many hours of fun watching them play together.
    When we had our two that summer we never watched TV. We had so much fun playing with them.
    I wish I could have some more kitties!!;)

4. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Thank you so much good advice! we brought the new kitty home tonight (having trouble with a name). we left him in his carrier and Scampy came and had a sniff around and wasnt to bothered. I then put scamp back in her room and let new kitty out to wander for a few minutes. I've just got him settled in his room for the night and i will continue the introductions tomoz! Oh I also rubded his scent on a blanket and have left it in with Scampy and vise vesa Hope this all sounds about right! :D

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hiya
    Sounds like you are doing every thing right.:D
    Will look forward to seeing some pictures soon.:)

6. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

aw I hope it goes well, i really want to get Mario a playmate, so Ill be in this situation too soon!

7. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Right well introductions went ok first day bit of hissing but then Scampy ignored the newly named Alfie! So second day let them both out with each other and supervised. Alfie loves Scamp and wants to play with her! but Scampy is not sure and is swipping at him and chasing him and sometimes biting him, Is this normal, shall I intervene or just let them get on with it! Alfie seems not to be bothered by the fighting and will fight back and doesnt seem scared of her! Scampy seems very off with us doesnt want to play and just goes and sits in the corner by herself, she did have her first jab last night so not sure whether this is due to this or Alfie?

8. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Hiya Kezzy,

I've done kitten to kitten introduction 4times now lol! Each time i just let the new kitten out and supervised closely. I think I have been incredibly fortunate as I have had no problems, but I do think that is because of the breed of cat I have.

I always found that playing with them and keeping them pre-occupied helps enourmously. When I introduced Bella (14 weeks) to the others last week she was playing so much with a string toy that she didnt realise that the others were playing with it too and so they all played together! Easy - introduction over :D

I know it depends on the cat etc. but I have never really believed in the slow introduction method as I think this can sometimes cause more problems and confuses the kittens more. Its best just to let them get on with it, they'll soon establish who's boss and where they stand.

Hope all goes well

xx

9. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Congratulations of your new kitten! I got my second one exactly 4 weeks after.

Well I brought my 10 week old Elvis home today. Left the carrier on the floor with the doors still closed. Heniu has gone ballistic at first, was puffing and hassing etc. They he started biting Elvis. The next thing I saw them chasing each other and biting etc. Heniu wanted to play a lot, sticking his paw to Elvis. It looked like they were playing really rough at first.

Now they are asleep. Let see how the rest of the introduction will go. I'm bit worries as it looks really rough when they play, biting etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice