Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing kitten to neighbourhood cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by WriterC, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WriterC

WriterC Banned

Hello, I'm hoping someone could give me some advice please. I have a five month old kitten who will eventually be allowed to go out, but I think I should begin introducing her to my neighbour's three cats before then, so they're not suddenly confronted by a fully-grown strange cat in 'their' territory.

My thinking is that they would be more likely to accept a kitten rather than a cat if you get what I mean? They can see each other through the window and none of them have gone psychotic or anything, so that seems to be a good sign.

I put Alex (our cat) in her basket yesterday and took her into the garden in full view of the Queen of next door's cats, and that went fine. No spitting, hissing or anything like that. They just looked at each other, sniffed each other and then her majesty ran off. They can together again today through the glass porch and again, no hissing or attempting to fight, her maj just ran off after a few seconds. Is this a good sign?

Usually her maj bullies the other two, but I really can't see Alex putting up with that kind of treatment, she's definitely a 'strong-willed' cat, shall we say. So god only knows what's going to happen but I'd like to make it go as smoothly as possible over several months if I can.

Many thanks!

2. Sirild

Sirild PetForums Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

We were in the same situation with Kaya last year. Our next door neighbours have three big boys (all neutered) who have had the run of our garden for years. Catproofing the garden is just not possible

We started the introductions through the windows, just to let them see each other. When Kaya had recovered from her spay and chip (she was about 7 months old), I started taking her out in her harness to meet the boys. No hissing or swiping; they just sniffed each other.
    I figured that she was too small to be seen as a threat to any of them. The neighbours' cats (as well as the owners :)) are all very nice and friendly.

After a while on the harness, we took the step and let her go free under close supervision.

To make a long story short, my little girl is now queen of her territory and will chase the boys if they outstay their welcome even though she's much smaller than any of them.

I wouldn't say that they are super friendly, but they sometimes nose kiss and will snooze fairly close to each other. There is the occasional hiss and swipe, but Kaya lets them know when it's time to head home. :)

So, in my opinion you are headed in the right direction with your approach to the introductions. Hope you are as successful as we were.

Good luck!

Siri

3. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Hello and welcome!

I started letting my two out at about 10 months old. The first time a cat came into the garden I was worried when this big fluffy mog puffed up and lashed it's tail, but Ziggy just went straight across the garden to it and then started to run away so he went after it!

I think she is a bit young to go out right now, many say 12 months is the ideal age.

I think you are doing the right thing by introducing them slowly. Its maybe a little early if she's only a lil kitty still.

4. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

What I do is put used cat litter around the garden perimeters. I started doing this way before my kittens started going out and I think it helps. It lets the other neighbourhood cats know that there are new cats around now, and they have marked their territory :D

5. WriterC

WriterC Banned

She's quite big, just over 2.5kg, and nearly as big as her maj next door. That's making me think it's time to properly start the introductions so they have a few months to get used to each other.

I'm also hoping that the three of them will be able to teach her a bit of cat-safety, like staying away from the road. It's just a normal road but we have a school so it's full of chicanes and speedbumps so there's no obviously fast cars to put them off going into it.

6. WriterC

WriterC Banned

Thank you! I hope so too. The other two cats are very different. One is super laid back and she used to split her time between our neighbour's and our house, and the other is very skittish and wary of humans.

We share a large drive way so it's impossible to cat-proof our garden too, which makes it problematic if they don't all get on. There's also a bloody big bugger of an un-neutered tom who hangs around because his owners clearly neglect him and he gets fed here at least. He's sometimes tolerated by her maj, and despite him being about twice the size of her, she has no problems seeing him off.

We'll soon see if Alex has the same gumption I suppose too. If not, I think the tom may find itself neutered and his owner bitchslapped. I kid. Mostly.

7. WriterC

WriterC Banned

I'd have to put it half way up the shared drive, and I don't think that'd be very appreciated by anyone haha! Thanks for the suggestion though.

8. WriterC

WriterC Banned

My cat is insane. She spends half her life trying to escape the house, and then when she gets the chance to go out in a harness she sits on the back step and refuses to move.

9. WriterC

WriterC Banned

Bit of an update - I let Alex meet the middle one of next door's cats today. She was a bit unsure, so I kept it short but there was no hissing or any fighting or angry behaviour displayed by either, so that's positive.

They were only outside together for about three minutes, but it's a start. I'm going to keep doing this, gradually increasing the time with all three, until she's mature enough to have short bursts outside with them unsupervised.

Her Maj, surprisingly, ran off within seconds of spotting Alex, which is very surreal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice