Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing hens to rescued rooster!

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by LJL, Feb 10, 2020.

1. LJL

LJL PetForums Newbie

I recently rescued a rooster who was going to be killed by his owner.
    I was told he is approx. 19 weeks old and may well be hermaphrodite.
    Initially I just didn't want him to be killed, so took him in and have been keeping him in a run for the past few weeks. He has plenty of food and water and is kept locked inside overnight, and free ranges during the day.
    I know it's cruel to leave him to live out his days alone, and so need advice re introducing hens.
    I have never kept chickens, and nor do I want many!
    Could I get 2 or 3 hens and have them live together in a very large run?
    Do the hens need a separate coop to the rooster?
    I'm a little concerned I may end up with fertile eggs!
    They can all free range during the day (30 acres so plenty of space) but no other facilities to house them at night time.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't like to think I'm being cruel leaving him on his own all the time.
    Thank you

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi,
    I've never had a rooster but I know they obviously can be introduced to hens, though as you say you would then end up with fertile eggs - don't think there's much you could do to prevent that other than keeping them separate, which would probably frustrate him. If you don't mind eating fertilised eggs, I'd think they should be fine sharing a coop and run after initial intros.

3. LJL

LJL PetForums Newbie

Hi Naomi, thanks so much. It's something I'll have to do, I can't bear the thought of him being lonely. I'll have to get looking for a few girls!

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

A quick search reveals at least 10 hens are recommended for one rooster. Other wise the hens will be harassed and stressed by the rooster. If you don't want to keep chickens and raise them or waste the eggs you might do better to find a farm tor this guy.

They do need proper housing and feeding.

5. LJL

LJL PetForums Newbie

Hi lorilu,
    Thanks for your message.
    I just said I don't want many chickens, a small flock is fine and eggs certainly wouldn't be wasted.
    He has an excellent run and food.
    Thanks for letting me know about the number of hens, that's certainly something I'll have to look at.

6. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I know someone with 6 hens and a rooster and they are a happy flock.

As for the introduction, when the new girls arrive have them in a separate run and coop to your rooster.
    They should be able to see each other but not touch each other.
    It should take 2 weeks of separation to get them used to each other.
    Then do some supervised meetings and gradually extend their time with each other.

May I suggest you rescue your girls fro the hen welfare trust. That's where are girls are from and it's so rewarding seeing them go from scraggly messes to fluffy beauties.
    https://www.bhwt.org.uk/

lorilu and NaomiM like this.
  7. LJL

LJL PetForums Newbie

Hi Beth, thanks for your message and the good ideas. I've signed up to a rescue site so will await any contact. I just want the poor little guy to be happy!

Beth78 likes this.
  8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I used to have half a dozen chickens and a cockerel. I got him because much more experienced chook people than me said that a cockerel helps to keep the girls calm and less flighty. It seemed to work cos they were a happy little flock.

The only sign of fertilised eggs was a little red dot in the yolk of the egg when you broke it, but no effect on the use or flavour of the egg.

9. LJL

LJL PetForums Newbie

Hi Linda, thanks for your message.
    We're well on the way with prep for some ladies. I think we're going for 6 so hopefully all will be happy!
    Given that the farmer wanted rid of my boy as he was a hermaphrodite, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the eggs

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice