Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

introducing established cats to 2 new cats

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by simplysardonic, Jun 2, 2010.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't often post here as my cats don't seem to have many problems but I need some advice
    We have been asked to rehome 2 female, spayed cats as the owners are moving into unsuitable accommodation. We already have 4 cats- 2 older ones aged 11 & the 2 younger ones who are just over 1 year old. These new 2 are about 9 years old & have experience with, although never lived with, large dogs. Our dogs are cat friendly although Bob can be a bit playful
    Is this even possible? I know how funny cats can be when it comes to introductions but multiple cat households must have some experience of this & advice to offer!
    I've been told to try Feliway, not even sure what this is:eek:

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Anyone?:(
    I've got a leaflet about Feliway from my vet & am definitely thinking of trying it

3. Shabbydoll

Shabbydoll PetForums Member

First you are going to want the separate the new cats from the older cats for about a week. Put the new cats in a separate room with bedding, water, litter, etc. Slowly let the cats get to know each other by switching the bedding and letting them sniff it. Feliway may help. It's a diffuser or spray that releases synthetic cat-like hormones to calm everyone down. Just take it slow. All the cats are going to be stressed. Make sure the older cats still have the run of the house. They need to feel that their territory isn't being completely taken over.

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thankyou so much for that, we have a room set aside for the new cats & they will be in there for a week at least & I'll be going in to spend time with them so they get used to me. Our resident cats will keep to their usual routine as they never go in this room anyway. I'm definitely going to buy some Feliway before they arrive

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hiya hun didnt want to read and run, loads of tips and hints to give ya but am off out in about 5min so will come back to this later.

In the meantime though...

1 - seperate for approx 1 week (but keep swapping bedding around)
    2 - use feliway and if necessary a DAP diffuser for your dogs
    3 - use a dog pen when initially doing introductions (for the new cats not the dogs lol)
    4 - dont force the situation... let them take their time
    5 - dont expect them to be firm friends immediatly, there will be occasional scuffles between the cats but should be no out and out agression.
    6 - along with swapping bedding, swapping litter trays can help get the scents through the house
    7 - if your cats like catnip (and it chills then rather than sends them loopy hyper), then rub a bit of catnip through the coats of the new cats.
    8 - with the dogs, keep the dogs attention focussed on you when you do the introductions... lots and lots of treats for the dogs!

will come back to this later.

hope it helps x

simplysardonic likes this.
  6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hiya i promised i would be back,

have you got the cats now?

if not, can you take some of your cats and dogs bedding to their current home and do a swap? to get the scents already mixing and so ease their coming.

Another good tip is to blunt the claws on all the cats, so if a squabble does break out, no real damage is caused from scratches.

spend plenty of time bonding with the new cats, and spend extra time with your exisiting ones, so their noses arent too pushed out of joint.

when you first introduce them.... give each of them a big bowl of something they love -e.g. tuna (warmed in the microwave to make extra smelly!)

hope it helps x

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thankyou very much for the advice BBM :) they are hopefully going to be here Wednesday sometime, I'm not sure I can get them any bedding from the cats or dogs as the mainly sleep on the sofa but I'm thinking of putting a towel down where they usually sleep & send it down to them on Monday, hopefully it wil be nice & marinaded in cat/dog smells by then! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice