Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing cats to pup

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

So anywhere here have experience in this dept. Im taking a toy I bought over to see the pups and was gonna rub the pups scent on and bring it home and let the cats smell it.

Any ideas on how it may go.

2. Miss.PuddyCat

bump...........................

3. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

What type of pup is it?

A cat would always beat a pup if they got into a fight a pup learns very fast not to go for a cat.

However certain dogs will always chase cats no matter what.

4. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

my cats always put marley in his place, they are all good friends though :D the toy idea is really good, maybe you could do the same with a blanket ??

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Shih tzu cross Maltese, only one of my cats Decker has seen a pup before but it never went more then seeing it.

This is the first time we will have both in the house.

6. frosty2010

Sometimes when we got our cats in the lounge with us our pup will be sleeping in the kitchen we have the door wide open between the lounge and the kitchen but have the stair gate there the cats jump over the stair gate and go in with him when the feel comfortable and if they get scared they can get out quite easily and although our pup can get over the stair gate he knows he isnt allowed so he never follows :D

7. frosty2010

It wont be a problem they should take straight away my partners parents have cats and shih tzus and the cats hold the dogs down to clean them they treat them like their own babies lol we had to be more cautious as we have a Husky lol.

8. Miss.PuddyCat

I have a feeling were in for fun times then. Ill take a blanket to and rub the pup with it.

We do have a gate at the top of the basement stairs to give the cats a place to get away. I hope to train the pup not go through the gates little cat door it has.

The pups never seen cats before

Just though maybe I should take little cloth rubbed on the cats to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice