Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing cats to each other

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ragdollhal, May 28, 2020.

1. Ragdollhal

Ragdollhal PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I have a 7 month old Ragdoll named Walter, and on Sunday picked up a Ragdoll cross named Wilbur, whos 13 weeks old. They accidentally saw each other on the first day and this has led to a lot of growling at even just Wilburs scent, as I have been doing a lot of scent mixing.

This has died down somewhat now, and I have purchased a pet remedy diffuser today which calmed Walter down to the point where he’d eat near the door of the room that Wilbur is in, but he will growl every now and then. I nipped in and out of the room in front of him (he didn’t see Wilbur), and coming outside he growled again and went straight under my bed.

Does anyone know where’s best to go from here? Do I continue to scent swap and feed him near the door till he stops growling? Then start a slow introduction through a gap in the door? It’s horrible seeing Walter upset like this, he’s friends with a few cats that visit the garden and my intention was to give him some company.
    Thanks all.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi @Ragdollhal
    @chillminx may see this, she is helpful with introduction advice.

Scent swapping is good and also I would exchange beds and toys to also help familiarize each with the others scent.
    Pet Remedy diffusers are good like you have. Also Beaphar calming spot on.

3. Ragdollhal

Ragdollhal PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much. After 5 days of scent swapping and Walter being in Wilburs room (with him away in another), they met today properly. Wilburs a live wire so he carries on if I pop him in his crate or stick him behind a door so they did have to meet in person, neither have ran up to each other but there’s been no physical fighting just quiet growling and the odd hiss from Walter but it looks like he’d tolerate him being around and hopefully bringing them back and forth together over the next few weeks I can get there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice