UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Introducing blind kittens Marrok and Rodolfo

746 views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Bertie'sMum 
#1 ·
I'd like to introduce to you two of the most amazingly confident kittens I have ever met - they are now 13 weeks old and are an absolute delight to care for; their disability doesn't stop them playing and acting just as mischievously as any able bodied kittens !

Cat Carnivore Felidae Dog breed Small to medium-sized cats
Cat Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Whiskers
Cat Carnivore Felidae Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats

Marrok and Rodolfo came into the care of Mitcham Cats Protection three weeks ago.

As you can see from the pictures they both have severe problems with their eyes. We're not quite sure what has happened, it could have been cat flu or possibly something genetic. Whatever the cause, the kitten's eye conditions have left them totally blind and the remaining eyes, where present, are causing problems.

Our vet is concerned that the weeping eyes are the result of residual eyeball tissue and if left untreated could cause further suffering and discomfort in the future. Before they can go home they need to have surgery to remove anything that's left of their eyes so that they don't have any issues when they get older and as they're twelve weeks old they need to be neutered too.

They are gorgeous little kittens, super friendly and confident! They have adapted to life without eyes very well. They use the litter tray perfectly, they eat, drink and play like any other kitten. They really are quite remarkable little kittens.

When these guys arrived at the centre we decided they look like little wolves so thought they should have extra special names! Marrok meaning ''A knight that was thought to be a werewolf'' and Rodolfo meaning ''A notable and legendary wolf''.

They are highly intelligent kittens, their body clock has adapted to the routine of the centre. They will sit in front of their pen door and move their head closer to the gap under the door so they can hear us coming and greet us with a rub, especially around dinner time! This tells us that they should adapt well to a new home environment and continue to thrive despite their lack of sight.

Once they have had their surgery and have been neutered we will be looking for a special forever home where they can be together.

See less See more
#9 ·
What I didn't mention earlier ('cos of forum rules) is that we had set up a JustGiving appeal to raise the necessary funds for their operations - well I'm pleased to report that we have already exceeded our target and raised enough funds to meet the costs of their eye operations with enough over to cover their neutering (they both have one undescended testicle so will need a bigger op than usual to find the 'hidden' one !) :)

As I said before we already have a list of prospective adopters so once they have recovered from their ops they will be leaving us for pastures new - sooooooooooo going to miss playing with them and giving them cuddles.

#16 ·
Pleased to report that Marrock and Rodolfo have had their surgery and have been neutered. They visited the vet today who is very pleased with their progress so it shouldn't be long now before they will be off to their new forever home:) We are all going to miss them very much when they go - they have so much character that they've become a major part of our lives at the centre !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.