Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a puppy to two dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Opheliac, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

I have a few ideas on how to do it, I just wondered which methods people have found to be the most successful?

Thanks In Advance :)

2. mag&me

mag&me PetForums Junior

I'm no expert but if you have a crate i would have thought that having the pup in the crate and allowing the other dogs to sniff around it in their own time might help.
    At least pup will be safe in there and you can then progress to maybe having them on leads etc.

3. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Have done a bit of research as i'm looking to do the same but the other way round; older to younger.

Having not actually done it i can only tell you what i read. Let them meet in a neutral environment, such as on a walk, walk them back to your house together. Let the pup explore your house solo, then cage, let the other dogs sniff your house after the pups been there, then let them meet together in the house. Don't leave them unsupervised together for the first few weeks, and i think it said it was advisable to cage pups when you cannot be there to supervise interaction.

That's the theory eh... sure there's plenty that've done it for real

Opheliac likes this.
  4. Opheliac

I have read that you should let them meet in a neutral environment, the only problem with that is the puppy will only have had his first jab by then, so it's not really safe to take him out. It does say to take them somewhere you know no other dogs have been, but how are you meant to know that lol :rolleyes:

I was thinking that if the dogs are taken over the park, the pup can explore the house alone, then maybe let them meet one at a time in the garden or would it better for them to meet in the house? I was going to put the crate in the living room so he has his little safe zone he can venture back to if he wants :)

5. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've only got 1 older dog but what I plan on doing is borrowing our neighbours garden to introduce them. She has dogs but all their vaccinations are up to date so I don't see how it would be a problem borrowing her garden. Would need to carry puppy back to our house but because Cheeko's never been in the garden I don't think it will be a problem. I have read if you have more than 1 older dog you introduce the puppy to them one at a time without the other being around.

Opheliac likes this.
  6. Opheliac

I thought it would probably be less stressful them meeting one at a time, thanks for confirming that :)

I would ask the neighbours, but our one dog has been in their garden a few times, it was awhile ago though.

We did have my sisters dog around to the house a couple of months ago and we let them meet her one at a time in the garden, and neither dog seemed to mind at all. She was over 12 months old though, would that make a difference or not?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice