Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

introducing a puppy to an older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by yellow39, May 10, 2010.

1. yellow39

yellow39 PetForums Newbie

hi i have just purchased a beautiful male whippet pup,my other dog is a whippet bitch, shes 5 years of age, can anyone tell me if its natural behaviour for my bitch to be trying to lift my little male pup by the neck, got him on frid and its been a running battle since. Help.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds lik she's feeling very maternal, as mums do this to their pups.
    Not sure it should be encouraged though as she could acidently hurt the pup.

3. yellow39

its everytime the wee man moves shes on him, but the wee man isnt takin it anymore hes beginning to turn on her, lots of growling goin on,hopefully it will all settle down soon and we can hav peace and harmony.

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm sure they'll work out it out.
    Sounds like fun - there are a few whippet owners on here I'm sure they'll have plenty of whippet' advice for you.

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My oldest whippet bitch does this. She is most likely being maternal. She will still tell her son and daughter off when they get too rowdy and they are 2 years old bit big for her the try to pick up but she still grabs their necks.

Also it is normal whippet play to go for the neck. She may be trying to get him to play. I think I frightened someone yesterday as my twins were on extending leads and were chasing each other grabbing at throats etc growling and snarling at each other. The people thought I was allowing them to fight but they were playing.

The main thing to remember is not to fuss the new pup more than the existing bitch. Make sure she get plenty of attention too. I have 8 whippets so have plenty of experience introducing new pups to older dogs. I have never had a problem getting a whippet to accept a newcomer of their own kind they are very sociable dog and love their own kind.

6. yellow39

thats very much for that my bitches tail is wagging all the time when she is going for the my wee man, fingers crossed they sort it out soon, Thanks again for the advice its very welcomed.

7. yellow39

should i be stopping this behaviour of milly goin for baileys neck, sometimes it can get quiet vicious now and thats a week on since introducing wee bailey, am at my wits end milly wont leave him alone, help.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If its getting nasty then yes stop her. Move her away and tell her NO or ENOUGH always use the same word and eventually yo should jus be able to say the command and she'll know that is the end of the game. Make sure you teach the pup the same so he doesn't go after the bitch and try to carry on the game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice