Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new Rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Mixinmytosties, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Mixinmytosties

Mixinmytosties PetForums Newbie

Greetings All,

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I’d appreciate some expert advice!

Sometime ago(about 2.5 years I think) my wife acquired two New Zealand Whites from a family who were unable to look after them and wanted them re-housed. We took care them of them, converted the garden shed and placed two hutches within (relax, it's a big shed!) and give them free run of the enclosed garden.
    However, we recently lost one of the rabbits to illness and are considering introducing another rabbit.
    The advice I seek is whether or not this is a wise decision. Obviously the rabbits (both female) have always had each other as company and have never been separated, but with the loss of one of them I’m wondering how significantly it will affect the other and if we should provide the remaining rabbit with additional 'company'. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi

Sorry to hear about the loss of one of your buns!

I would say definitely get her a friend as she is used to the company and will probably not like being on her own after sharing her life with the other rabbit. I would try rescuing a buck around the same age or maybe contact some rescues and they can do the bonding for you and find her the perfect partner!!

3. Mixinmytosties

Thanks Kellyrich,

It looks like we'll most probably get another as Willow's looking all forlorn and keeps staring at the burial mound in the corner!!!

Is it best to get one simialr to her own age or would she dominate and possibly harm a younger rabbit?

Thanks again

4. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi

it doesnt usually matter about age to be honest, the only difference being if you get a baby then it will be much more playful maybe than the older one but age doesnt really matter, the main thing is that they bond ok so make sure you do the bonding process correctly, which can take time and effort.

5. Mixinmytosties

Thanks again!

Forgive my ignorance but could you tell me more about the bonding process and procedure, please?

6. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Of course! This is why i mentioned the rescue doing it for you and you could get a rabbit that is all vaccinated and netured/spayed etc and they can find Willow a perfect mate...much easier!

Firstly you would need to make sure that either both or one of them is neutered or spayed if you were to get a buck. They need to be introduced on neutral territory, somewhere that Willow hasnt been before. It may be love at first sight, luckily it was with two of mine but i also lost one rabbit due to fignting when trying to bond. You should just put them together for short periods of time to see how they are, there might be a bit of scuffling etc but only separate them really if they actually lock onto each other and attack otherwise just leave them. But you will need to keep them separate but in a cage next to each other until they are bonded otherwise it could end up quite horrible! It can take a few weeks to do this properly.

Im sure iv forgotten something but im sure other people will add things.

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

You need to have your doe spayed first, 85% of unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus and as kelly said it will be easier to bond a neutered male with her. We'll help you with bonding advice when you have found a partner, i find pairs easy after bonding four!! lol

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are your guys bonded now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice