Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Megan200299, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Megan200299

Megan200299 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I currently have a 11month old male jackapoo, absolute love of my life, he’s so plasid and super cute and friendly and a real soppy boy. So we have decided to expand the family and we’ve put a deposit down on our new black lab puppy ready for home in 8 weeks BUT I’m abit worried about how my boy is gunna take it?!

He loves other dogs but he get incredibly scared when huge dogs run after him or come up to him, always runs and cry’s! He is only little though, I don’t want him to be scared of the puppy so I’m hoping as he’ll be little they’ll grow together and it will just be the normal thing? Not a huge scary dog and just his big brother he’s knows sinch puppy?

Anyone possible reassure me? Or tips? Have I gone for the wrong breed? Can I make it work, yeah? I’m not a quitter so il put in as much work with them as need be!

Thank you :)

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I have a terrier cross mini poodle who is three years old now, he is similar to your boy in that he doesn't like other dogs (of any size) running up to him, jumping on him etc and will run off crying. Last year, when he was 2 years old a labrador puppy joined the family, the labrador doesn't live with me but we see her regularly, my boy and I saw her for the first time when she was 9 weeks old and she was the same height, maybe a little taller then my boy, he loved her at that height and they played and it was a promising start. We saw her again 2 weeks later and she was a lot bigger and things were not so great, however they do get on to a certain level, but my boy is a bit scared of her.
    However as your puppy and your current dog will be living together that's completely different and hopefully they will get to know each other and they will get on well.

Tips wise, always make sure your jackapoo has places he can go to get away from puppy, feed them in different rooms, don't let the puppy pester your older boy.

Good Luck and I hope it goes well.

Megan200299 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice