Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new puppy to our older dog. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Katy4485, May 1, 2017.

1. Katy4485

Katy4485 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    We have a 6 year old chihuahua who by nature is quite the territorial little diva! She interactss with smaller dogs ok outside the house (in particular with her doggy best friends and the grooming salon) but dislikes big dogs and will openly snarl at them sometimes when on walks! She hates the postman or indeed anyone who dares knock at the door too!
    We've never bought another dog into our house before but I am beginning to worry about introducing the new puppy who come home next week.
    Poppy (the chihuahua) was crate trained but it's so good now we've let her sleep on the couch, but we will be crate training the puppy and have been suggested introducing him whilst he is inside his crate to help... we also have an adaptl plug in to help calm things.
    Just very nervous as don't want Poppy to kick off and have no idea how she'll be!
    Can any one help with suggestions or advice? Thanks, Katy x

2. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Can you make the first meeting off your premises to diffuse potential problems?

Being on neutral territory for a first encounter might help, then you could take them together into the house.

I think safeguarding the.puppy by it being in a crate is a good idea, also if your other dog likes treats can you make it so that being near the puppy is rewarding?

I am sure others will be able to give you more advice.
    ouse

Katy4485 likes this.
  3. Katy4485

Thank you My only concern about neutral territory is he is very small and also won't have had all his vaccinations yet. But it's a really good idea and will definitely positively reward Poppy too

="bumbarrel, post: 1064849135, member: 1452076"]Can you make the first meeting off your premises to diffuse potential problems?

Being on neutral territory for a first encounter might help, then you could take them together into the house.

I think safeguarding the.puppy by it being in a crate is a good idea, also if your other dog likes treats can you make it so that being near the puppy is rewarding?

I am sure others will be able to give you more advice.
    ouse[/QUOTE]

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I usually introduce any new dogs in my garden...as sometimes neutral territory isn't possible.

I would always advise a crate for a puppy with an existing job simply because puppies can be obnoxious trouble makers, and it gives the older dog a break from the younger puppy, so crate training the puppy is a must.

What breed are you introducing?

I think what you need to have in mind when you introduce any new dog, is the most you want is them to tolerate each other anything else is an added bonus.

How long it takes them to tolerate each other is anyone's guess, but to help you need to make sure your puppy who really will have no manners is not left to run riot and just constantly terrorise the older dog...not leave your older dog to sort it out for herself.

Stick to the older dog's routine too, and give them time together supervised at all times.

Katy4485 likes this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ideally its best if you can introduce them outside of the home, on more neutral territory, and then bring them home together. If you really cant find anywhere to do that, if you have a private garden then that's probably your best bet.

6. Katy4485

Thank you,

I definitely plan on putting puppy in the crate and not leaving him to wander round unsupervised as agreed he will likely wind our older dog up.

He is a Cavachon, and is very playful!

And yes being able to tolerate each other is exactly what we want, anything is a huge bonus.

We are ensuring that Poppy's routine is very much settled in and will try to ensure she is given all the attention possible, he will be bottom of the pack for sure bless him!

QUOTE="lullabydream, post: 1064849838, member: 1381616"]I usually introduce any new dogs in my garden...as sometimes neutral territory isn't possible.

I would always advise a crate for a puppy with an existing job simply because puppies can be obnoxious trouble makers, and it gives the older dog a break from the younger puppy, so crate training the puppy is a must.

What breed are you introducing?

I think what you need to have in mind when you introduce any new dog, is the most you want is them to tolerate each other anything else is an added bonus.

How long it takes them to tolerate each other is anyone's guess, but to help you need to make sure your puppy who really will have no manners is not left to run riot and just constantly terrorise the older dog...not leave your older dog to sort it out for herself.

Stick to the older dog's routine too, and give them time together supervised at all times.[/QUOTE]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice