Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mrbumps, Aug 18, 2009.

1. mrbumps

mrbumps PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

New to the forum so Hi to everyone.

We have a good range of animals at home, fish, hamster, rabbit, dog and cat.

We would very much like a kitten but are concerned about how our other cat, now 14 will react to this.

She is an old but active cat. Not a great person animal but loves the dog who joined us 2 years ago as a puppy. He is now huge and the relationship between dog and cat is one we never thought would be possible. They eat together and even sleep together sometimes.

Now for the fly in the ointment. If we introduce a kitten is this likely to go the same way or are we going to end up with problems?

We have read some articles suggesting starting the kitten in a pen while smells get around the house an this all sounds like very good advice. Does anyone have any experience of introducing a kitten to an older cat such as ours?

I have no concerns with the dog, he might be big but beyond licking the poor little thing to death there is little else that might happen.

Thanks in advance

2. rottiesloveragdolls

welcome to the mad house :p

3. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Welcome to the forum :D

We have introduced kittens to older cats in the past.
    In our experience there have been a few days of the older cat being stand offish and then it's been fine, cuddling up to sleep, playing etc. A new lease of life for the more mature cat.

Having a pen is a good idea. That way they can meet and greet without any fear.

Good luck!

4. MADCAT

MADCAT PetForums VIP

I have never introduced a older cat to a kitten, my cat boris was one when i introduced tootsie to him, he was hard work but we soon got there, i would hope perhaps a little kitten would give the older cat a little spring in her step perhaps, and with yours already getting on with your dog i should think you would be ok.

Good luck let us know what you decide xxx

5. mrbumps

mrbumps PetForums Newbie

Brilliant, thanks for the replies.

Sounds like there should be no real problem here then, at least based on the experiences of others.

I will let you know how it goes.

6. mrbumps

mrbumps PetForums Newbie

Just as a follow up to this. Our older cat is very used to going out through her cat flap. Obviously we need to restrict the kittens access at least until after the vaccination or even neutering if its a girl.

I was thinking of installing a magnetic cat flap and only giving the key to the older cat for now. Has anyone used these before or had any problems or advice?

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice