Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new Kitten - Problems

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jennibob, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jennibob

jennibob PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Well, after much discussion between the family, we decided to get a Kitten,

he is 7 weeks old, Fully weaned and litter trained, and he is being booked into the vet for his jabs, and will get him "done" at 6 months.

We also have a rescue cat which we got about 5 yrs ago, a lady called Tash (if I can find some pics you will see why).

Tash is a lovely cat, she is very friendly and very much a lap cat, she will sleep the days away quite happily. The only thing is she is extremely skittish and is reacting badly to the new kitten.

She just looks at him and runs.

We can't introduce them as we can't even get her in the same room as him,

Any help would be brilliant (yes we are new to kittens, but not adult cats)

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Is it possible to put her in a cat carrier?

3. jennibob

The adult or the kitten, in both cases, yes it is, but the adult gets stressed

4. messyhearts

Try either of them in it. Probably better if kitten is & let the adult roam around.

5. jennibob

Oh, right, I can try that.

Will that help tash relax around the kitten

6. messyhearts

Well it will let her grow accustomed to the smells the kitten has.
    Try some Feliway perhaps? I've never been in a situation to need it but have had it recommended by vets etc should I need it.

7. jennibob

I have heard of that, did a bit of research, do you know of anyone apart from the vets that sells it??

btw, thanks for you help :D

8. messyhearts

Google it, there are many pet pharmacies online.

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

try

petplanet

vetuk

Ebay

:)

10. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I would also try feeding them together or maybe hand feed treats to them both. I'm sure your older cats nose will be pushed out of joint for a while but they will get on eventually (or at least learn to tollerate each other) and if possible try and give more attention to your older cat :)

11. jennibob

Thanks for these

Typically of my fussy adult, she only grazes, she rarely eats a whole bowl full, so we constantly have to feed her in little bits (or the flies get it and it ends up in the bin) tonight, she ate from his bowl, which is in the livingroom with his other bits and bobs, and she gets fed in the kitchen.

The biggest problem we have with her is she is very very timid, and runs a mile when she is faced with something she doesn't like, but she is my world, and I am just worried about her.

we live in the equivilant of cat city, and all of my neighbours have cats, and she will tolerate any of them coming into the house, but I have never seen her react quite like this, but we did only get him on Friday, so there is still time. but bless him, he doesn't know what he has done wrong and just wants to make friends.

At the min, we have closed her in the living room (with us of course, and it took her about an hour of whinging, but she is now curled up on her favourite spot on the couch and he is running around playing with the lap top cable and mewing for attention.

Sorry, I am rambling again, I will shut up now. I just worry about all my animals, its a wonder I am not a nervous wreck lol :eek:ut:

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

It's ok, it can be really stressful introducing another cat, I went through it with one of mine and she was so miserable and upset by it all that I felt terrible for doing it to her! haha .... it will be ok in time its just hard the first few days / weeks :)

13. jennibob

Thanks for that hun

I have been out today and bought them both some new toys, :) for treats

:eek:

14. spiffy

spiffy PetForums Junior

I am having the same problem. I have tried introducing my kitten to my older cat, but he just hisses at her and/or runs off. I figured this will take time, hopefully they'll become friends soon enough. I will try some of the ideas suggested in this thread. Thanks. :)

15. dave2506

dave2506 PetForums Newbie

You may find that she never fully accepts the kitten but I would say it's better that she's skittish with it rather than aggressive.

When my parents got their second cat around 6 years ago as a kitten, the older one wasn't best pleased and the situation hasn't really changed. She tolerates her but if she ever goes up close to say hello then she will hiss at her and run away! They do play together occasionally but only at the older cat's discretion.

Both cats are very much loved and given equal amounts of fuss and hence are both happy and content. They just never have, and never will be, the best of friends.

16. jennibob

Hi Dave, sorry about the late reply, I havent had a chance to come on for a couple of days,

That situation would do for me, I just want them both to be happy.

I bought some feliway (sp) last night, so lets see if this will help her..... Will let you know how I get on

Thanks to all for the replys, your all fantastic.... :thumbup:

17. jennibob

Great, I am so gratefull for all the suggestions on here, Let me know if you are having any success, as I said above, I am trying the feliway pheremone (sp again) diffuser, will let you know if it helps to "chill" her out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice