Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a new dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Miloxyloto, May 28, 2018.

1. Miloxyloto

Miloxyloto PetForums Newbie

We have a Chorkie who is 19 months. We have just been contacted by the breeder that we purchased him from to say that they need to rehome his mother. Now that we have had him with us for 17 months how do you think he would respond if we were to have his mum come live with us??

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Introduce on neutral ground if not possible I use the garden.

Try and step in before any telliings off between them. So both know you have their back!

Remember the most you expect is the tolerate each other. Anything else is a bonus.

Tips before bringing home..clean floors with some type of odour/urine remover so the best you can do to make your home more neutral.

It's always depends on the dog..some prefer not to have company others do.

Miloxyloto likes this.
  3. Miloxyloto

Do you think that he would remember her as his mother or will they have forgotten each other?? Thank you for the advice.

4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've had my Mini Schnauzer since he was 9 months old and he's now nearly 5 years old. At least once a year he and my other dog go and stay for a few weeks with his breeder and he gets to meet and play with all his extended Schnauzer family He loves it and I'm told behaves as though he's never been away!

5. Miloxyloto

Oh brilliant. Thank you

6. MariaDogTrainer

MariaDogTrainer PetForums Newbie

You could try to introduce the mothers smell before you actually introduce the two dogs to each other! Try to get a blanket or a toy from the mother to let your dog get used to the smell already!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice