UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 female cats who are from the same litter. We got them when they were 8 weeks old and they are now both about 4.5 years old. My brother in law also has a cat who is about 3 years old. But he is moving soon and will be renting and isn't allowed any pets so has asked us if we would home his cat. I absolutely adore his cat, she is lovely and I would love to home her, as would my husband but I'm worried it would upset my cats and I don't want to do that. As it is, my cats seem to rub each other up the wrong way. I'm sure they love each other but I get the feeling they don't like each other very much most of the time.

So do you think introducing another cat would be a bad idea? I really don't want to upset my cats. Both my cats are girls, as is my brother in law's. I just don't like the idea of him giving his cat to the cat's protection league or whatever and us never seeing her again!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
are all the girls neutered?

I would give it a try as worst case scenario is it doesn't work and a new home has to be found for your brother's cat after all. Just get some Feliway on hand and see how they get on, you never know your cats may decide they adore her.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they've all been done. I think we might try and bring my brother in law's cat round today and see what happens, although I know what will happen. Poppy (one of my cats) will hiss at her and make them growling noises. And Daisy, my other cat, will probably be scared. I'm sure of this because I see how they react to other cats in our garden. Although they are ok with my rabbit and he's almost the same size of them!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
When introducing a new cat take it very slowly. There is alot of information on the web regarding it. You should have an item that has the new cats scent and let your resident cats smell it and get accostomed to the smell. Also make sure the initial meeting is at a feeding time as cats associate this with a happy time so will hopefully therefore associate with the resident cats. Also make sure there is plenty of distance between the new cat and the others incase thing get ugly! Don't worry if at first they hiss and growl etc, that is to be expected. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.