UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think all the threads I have read is about introducing kittens to cats. But that's not my situation! Genie will 30 weeks old time zigmond gets home and I am worrying how I go about doing this? It's 5 weeks away and would like some practical advice on how to prepare. For instance should I get feliway now? Swop scents when ziggers gets that bit older? Please either direct me or advise me.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hi

Our situation was not too dissimilar our eldest,Harvey, was 39 weeks when we got our 13 week old Reuben.

It sounds as though you know what you are doing. We did exactly what you suggest. On all our visits to the kitten we exchanged a scent blanket/flannel with the breeder who gave us one in return. We rubbed our eldest cat with the scented flannel and left it around. Our Feliway diffuser had never been empty nor switched off so we continued with that and added another a week before the new one arrived. We moved Harvey's items into a different room well in advance of the kitten coming( bed, bowl, litter) then placed down a second set for Reuben for Harvey to get used to.

When Reuben came we placed him in his kitchen with his stuff, we would go in and cuddle and play every few minutes whilst keeping Harvey happy outside the door. After a few hours we left the door open a little and let both see each other whilst having treats on hand to feed them if they weren't too worried. We allowed them get close if we were there.

When we went to bed or out the cats were then separated and placed in their own rooms, for the next 3-4 days the cats would follow each other squabble a LOT i.e. the oldest holding the younger down with squeaks coming from the little one, we were worried but the little one would within a second chase after the eldest to repeat the whole scenario again!!!!! Only a couple of times did we approach to stop the tussle.

Then all went calm.

Next we found them cuddling, licking and adoring each other. Don't get me wrong they still have a mad scuffle, with the eldest reinstating his position but then all goes back to calm. They have the run of the house and all the bedding and food is together now. It really does sound you know what to expect and you are going to do all the right things.

Here is a clip of them loving and tussling.

Reuben and Harvey in sink - YouTube

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response. Your boys are GORGEOUS x

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Nikki I don't think you will have too much of a problem.
I find British Short hairs easy to introduce.
I have introduced an 11 month old to two 14 years once and this year introduced Archie who was 5 months old to Chloe who was nearly two years old.
I have a medium sized dog cage and I put Archie in there when I first got him. Chloe could smell him but not touch him. After a couple of days I let him out under my watch full eye and they seemed to get on fine.
We never had a hiss or fur standing up on end!

For the first week I put them to bed in different rooms just to make sure.
After a few Days they were fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at him, choocher unlimited :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.