Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing a 10 week old kitten to a 7 week old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sarawhitt1, May 18, 2020.

1. Sarawhitt1

Sarawhitt1 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone.
    Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. We have adopted two kittens from two different litters from the same household. We got our first kitten and he has been with us for three weeks and has settled in well. Our second kitten arrived two days ago and we keep them separate, doing the site swapping and feeding on either side of the door. However they are scratching to get out of the door to get to each other and we let them but our older kitten doesn’t leave the new one alone and is constantly jumping on him. When we separate them again and they are dying just to get back to each other. Any ideas to help? Thank you very much.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Sarawhitt1 and welcome :)

A 7 week old kitten is too young to be separated from his mum and litter mates, and for the sake of his social skills development he should have really stayed with them until at least 9 or 10 weeks. But as long as there is not a big difference in the size of your two kittens I would probably let them be together under your supervision and just intervene with distractions if the older one is being too rough or the younger one is getting upset. I appreciate there will naturally be some size difference between them, but it may not be large enough to worry that the older kitten might unintentionally be too rough with the younger one and hurt him.

I would give them their own separate feeding spots at least 10 ft apart. Cats being solitary hunters like their own space to eat.. Kittens from the same litter may happily eat near each other, until they are older.

Litter trays are a valued resource for cats, and 3 trays are the minimum provision needed for 2 cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice