Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Introducing 5 week kitten to an active 10 month kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mitzo11, Apr 10, 2017.

1. mitzo11

mitzo11 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We've had our existing 10 month old cat for about 3 months or so, now we've adopted a 5 week old kitten. Both are male, our existing cat has been neutered.

We've had this 5 week old for about 2 weeks now, our existing cat is very friendly but is really active and likes to play all the time, but plays quite rough.

So we've been trying to introduce them for the past 2 weeks, we've got the kitten in our en-suite bathroom, I've built this cage divider that I place in front of our bedroom doorway so during the day they get used to each other.

There's been no aggressive behavior with the cage, they're always playing with each other's paws through the cage, and when the bedroom door's closed they play with each under the door.

But when we put them in the same room with no divider (we've tried this 3 times now, and always get the same result), our existing cat's eye go completely black, he stands back and waits for an opportunity pounce the kitten and I think he's play fighting but it's really aggressive for this tiny kitten. The existing cat mostly bites and there's a bit of swiping but no claws, the kitten screams like it's in pain when the existing cat bites. The existing goes for the throat for some reason as well. The kitten also keeps his distance away, the kitten's not showing who's boss or anything. Bear in mind, all this happens within 30 seconds of introducing them - after I think it's too rough - about 30 seconds in - I take the kitten away.

I keep thinking our existing cat is going to keep getting more and more aggressive as I let them be with each other in the same room - like he's testing to see how rough he can get, but the little kitten has no way to defend himself.

I'm hoping for some advice from someone who may have gone through a similar scenario, because through my DIY doorway cage they're like BFFs but when the cage is away, our existing cat changes his attitude completely.

I was thinking to maybe wait until the kitten is at least weighing 1 kg before trying it again, this way the kitten can take the beating (playtime) better - at the moment he's around 500g.

Thanks,

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Astonished you got a 3-week old kitten. :( He needs this sort of rough & tumble but without seeing them I suspect with kittens much more his own size.

spotty cats and Ceiling Kitty like this.
  3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Gosh, he's much too young to be away from his mum - what's his story?

I think I would wait until he is significantly bigger before allowing the two to play together, or there is a real risk your older cat could hurt him. I'd carry on keeping them separate for now.

Make sure you're scent swapping and getting the new kitten's scent throughout the house so it's part of the general household scent. Hopefully by the time you can start mixing them together he will be no big deal to your older cat and you'll just have to worry about over exuberant play.

4. Dobby65

Dobby65 PetForums Senior

There's a duplicate post in "Training and behaviour" which explains - kitten was dumped outside her house.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice