Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

interview clothes....HELP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Savahl, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I have an interview next wednesday :eek: My first in nearly 10 yrs! but what with redundancy coming in 4 months time I need to start getting more! So, I am going to be needing me some interview clothes! I dont really have "tailored" clothes as an engineer i go to work in jeans mostly...

What do you guys think... Trouser Suit? Skirt Suit? or tailored dress? Also, I am a curvy 12 to 14 (depending on the shop, and style of cut), I carry alot of weight on my hips/bum (and boobs), and suffer muffin tops if i wear the wrong trousers! So what style do you all recommend?? I really need to make a good first impression - I need to look professional as I am likely to be in the minority as a woman for most jobs im applying for! (i am going for mostly managerial roles, or office based engineering rater than hands on engineering now...trying to climb the ladder)

#1 Savahl, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  2. rona

rona Guest

A good tailored dress would probably be best on you and you can add a well cut jacket

3. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I agree - you won't need to worry about muffin tops from trousers or skirts then.

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im hopeless with clothes :eek: but the very best of luck I hope you get the job :D x

5. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

A low cut top should work....stand out of the crowd! :p

Seriously though...I'm a bloke so I absolutely no use on this subject at all.

*quietly leaves the thread*

6. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

7. GiddyKipper

GiddyKipper PetForums Member

It sounds like we're similar in size :)

This is what I would do. First of all, I'd go to M&S and get a pair of tights that smooth and shape the hips, tum and bum area. I swear by these!
    I then suggest, as Rona said before, a tailored dress, as it will always be smart, but can be dressed up or down for different occasions. The tights will really help in finding a dress that you feel comfortable in. They make my sillouette a little more shaped and supported and no one's any the wiser! And don't stint - a good pair of tights can last for ages! Cheap tights are IMO a false economy, they just don't last.

A tailored dress with a lovely structured jacket, a good pair of tights and some smart shoes can work wonders. You don't want anything too bright, or too revealing. Again, M&S, Debenhams.. they're sure to have one that will suit.

Shoes - depends what you're comfortable in. When wearing a dress and tights, I find that a slight heel gives me a better posture and makes me stand a little straighter. But ultimately whatever smart style you like so long as you're comfortable :)

Avoid anything garish in colours. And definitely avoid horizontal stripes and clothes that sit tight on the hips if you're at all curvy. They just make curves look frumpy or saggy :(

Ultimately, the trick is to show your personality through to Interviewers discreetly by the accessories you choose, not by blasting them with bold prints and too many colours in an outfit. Think black/grey, with white, and then highlights of an accent colour (eg Black, white and purple discreet patterned dress, black jacket, nude or black tights and some black shiny shoes, to go with your favourite purple earrings and necklace etc)

Go with your gut - ultimately, if you don't feel comfortable, you won't be comfortable, and they'll pick up on that! Be patient, it may take a few trips to find your perfect outfit :)

Hope this helps! x

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Thanks all for your help :D Will be shopping on thursday or weekend to find something!M&S or debenhams seems the way forward!

And jamie........ your as useful as a chocolate teapot lol...;)

9. GiddyKipper

LOL, so true.
    Oooh, have fun! You have to let us know what you pick! :D x

10. Savahl

Savahl Guest

i will! im rubbish at clothes :( personal shopper may be required lol

11. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper PetForums Member

Hi i have this dress - http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/produc...29752&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand- its current and its not too expensive but it looks good on. My shape is similar to yours. You can wear a nice jacket in a contrasting colour which you could make summery if the weather is warm.

I got my jacket from a second hand shop to keep the cost down...

Good luck with the job. If you wear something comfy you will be more confidant. Also another trick I do is to get my hair done by the hairdresser on the day - it makes you feel a million dollars!;)

Let us know wha you decide to do!:D

12. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

What ever you choose, check buttons, zips and seams. A malfunction will make you feel uncomfortable and therefore less confidant.
    Go easy on the perfume, I have had to conduct numerous interviews choking on a marinade of perfume or aftershave, very distracting:001_smile:

13. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

where is your actual job? is it retail or admin or something? hope it all goes well :D

...i love interviews

14. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Engineering. (management or project manager level)
    Iv been in my current company for 8 yrs but the factory is closing so im being made redundant.

So i dont want to play the girly card with boobs (looking at you jamie!) as it can make me seem a less viable candidate; I have to deal with a lot of rough arsed men and need to be a strong character and need to show that im more than a nice looker.

As jamie is the only one here who actually knows my rough shape i was hoping hed be more helpful lol. Asking too much?

#14 Savahl, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  15. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Did you look at that dress? Its quite slimming on the tummy due to the cut.

16. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I did its nice :) the sort of thing il be looking for i think!

17. rona

rona Guest

Yes if you can stand to wear clothes that are made of that :eek:

18. Sergeant.Floyd.Pepper

Its very nice but i can't wear that because my arse is too big and is accentuated by the curve in my spine. Navy is good!:D

19. GiddyKipper

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice