Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Interpreting tail language

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tetley&Kenco, May 24, 2020 at 12:30 AM.

1. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Senior

Tetley is a proper tail talker, but I have no idea what half of his tail-chat means!

He especially loves to swish his tail like this, he does it when he wants food, when he wants a play, when he wants me to go to bed.... all I know is it means “I want something” and then I have to guess what!

Any tail experts got any insight on this tail swishing he does?

raysmyheart likes this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

My girls talk a lot with their tails too. :)

I'd say Tetley is waiting for something from you when he does that with his tail. Was it near his meal time perhaps? Or was he ready for a cuddle maybe?

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko's tail hasn't read any books , it does what it feels like ,when it likes .It even does things while he is sleeping

4. Tetley&Kenco

It was at bedtime, which usually means dinner then bed, I put food out for him, he wasn’t that fussed though, and he cane back to flirt with his tail! I think he wanted to play or for me to go to bed? He was still sad because he’d lost a spider he had been playing with, maybe he was telling me to help him look for it :Hilarious

5. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

No expert but a bit like happy for a bit of attention. Food or fuss.

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Oh that's a very happy tail! Its not uncommon for cats to wag their tail in contentment, and a wavy and/or curly tail is just that!

raysmyheart and Tetley&Kenco like this.
  7. Tetley&Kenco

He is a proper tail wagger! The waggiest tailed cat I’ve ever met! :p His brother doesn’t wag as much but does walk around with a wave in his tail

I’ve been told many years ago that tail cat wagging meant angry.... but since owning cats I can tell that’s not necessarily true! Although I’ve never seen Tetley angry, so maybe he would wag his tail then too?!

cheekyscrip likes this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

A wag is different from a swish, a way is up high but a swish is low and close to the body, and its a whipping movement. A wag is what you see Tetley doing, a gentle wave :)

Do their tails bat about when they're play fighting?

9. Tetley&Kenco

Oh yes they definitely bat their tails when they play fight! Again Tetley more than a Kenco!

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

It's a very similar action to an aggressive tail movement, but aggressive movement is closer to the body to protect the tail from being a target

11. Tetley&Kenco

I got a video of both my boys swishing their tails whilst playing fighting! With a bonus of the loudest noise I’ve ever heard Tetley make (still relatively quiet, but he’s usually a VERY quiet cat)

Rufus15, SbanR and chillminx like this.
  12. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Kenco has the laziest tail movements ever :Hilarious whereas Tetley is proper swish swish. They are a funny pair

13. Tetley&Kenco

Yep you are absolutely right, this is actually the maximum Kenco waves his tail :Hilarious however he is LOUD, he talks all the time, screams more than meows :p so I don’t think he needs his tail as much to communicate :Hilarious

Tetley is all tail, and has the tiny mew of a 1 day old kitten most of the time :p

Rufus15 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice