Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Internal clock

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 13, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

I'm sure that dogs have an internal clock of some sort.
    How else do they know when it is food time or walk time. I know that some of you will say it's because of routine, but what about weekends that are different, and what about getting up time?
    Alfie gets me up the same time every morning no matter if it is a weekend or holiday :cursing:
    Little love ;)

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

My dogs are the same, they get me up at 6.30am no mater what day of the week it is

3. scarlet_rain

scarlet_rain PetForums Junior

Its amazing what dogs can do, they are constantly suprising us. My dogs wake up and whine the same time every day and are basically telling me "take us out! we need a wee!" I usually let them tell me when they want their dinner though, I wait for "the look" and then go feed them. Does anyone just know what their dog wants? I find my Jack so easy to read, I put it down to having a strong bond with her.

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I totally agree with you Rona
    The only difference being, Bailey doesn't wake us up at weekends.
    My mum gets up at 7 on week days, but he lets us sleep till about half 9 at the weekend.

I find it funny that Bailey stands at the pantry door when he wants a Bonio lol. He knows they are in there.
    x

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I think in most cases its assosciation it is with mine, come in from work its feed time,my o.h works away comes home on friday and they are constantly lookin for him on fridays i go supermarket shopping on fridays after work so associate me bringing in shopping with him coming home.

My neighbour goes to work at 5.45 the time i get up, at exactly that time the young one whines she knows ile be getting up any minute, we never hear her at weekends as my neighbour doesnt work weekends so no triggers.

They are not walked at any specific times at weekends so they never stand staring at me at weekends but in the week i have the same routine by the time i have cleared away after tea i sit down with a cup of tea before walking them and they are stood staring at me all the time they know the last drink, its finished and were off:rolleyes: they are stood at the door waiting for me to put the cup into the washer. Dogs are very tuned into everything we do without us realising until it becomes obvious by their behaviour, pretty smart are dogs;)

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

Meg the little darling like to wake me up about 10 mins before the alarm goes off at 5.30am, :eek:hmy: she could wait another 10 mins bless her. Poppy would sleep all morning and get up late if she could, she likes her sleep:)

7. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

:DPip comes up the bed at about 6.30 each morning and lies on our heads!

She also goes to the treat stash after each walk and when she comes in from a toilet time...greedy girl!

She also knows when OH should be home, she will go to sit at the window and keeps watch.....and knows the words 'dads home!'....they are lovely our dogs arent they

8. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Horses are the same:D

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The only time Dave's ''Timer'' goes off, is tea time. 6pm on the dot. If I haven't started getting the dishes organised, he sits and whines a couple of times. If he is in his bed, he lets out a few short barks, about 30 seconds apart. If he is out of his bed, he sits infront of the cupboard where the food is and looks at me.
    he also goes to where the treats are after his dinner.. But ONLY if he has eaten it all. If he has left some, he goes to bed.

He will get up at whatever time I get up- tue-sat 7 - 7.30 and sun and mon 8-9.

He doesn't really have a specific walk time, but he does get a bit edgy after I've eaten as he usually gets a walk around then.

Dixie get's edgy about 5.20 pm and doesn't settle until oh gets in.

x

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

how's that horse found the owner yet? they no the time as well don't they

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Mine are the same, even when the clocks go back or forward they still know when its walk or dinner time....its a bit of a pain really cos I have to change my routine to match theirs then!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice