Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Intermittent Behaviour changes and pain

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Xiaoyume, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Xiaoyume

Xiaoyume PetForums Newbie

Hi. My 9 year old Jack Russell Chihuahua has been acting strange lately, however it is not constant.

It started a few weeks ago, he would walk very slowly, refuse to lift his head and be reluctant to listen if you call him. If he is up on a high-ish place like a sofa, he will refuse to jump up or down on his own accord, and sometimes yelps if picked up and put down. That first time, he returned to normal after 2 hours or so, and was back to being healthy for the next coming weeks.

But yesterday morning he began to do the same, he would just lie down and want to be undisturbed, shiver, make slight whimpering noises and be reluctant to move or follow anybody. After a few hours of lying down, he returned to normal. Again the next day, the same problem, and it subsided after a few hours.

I don't know if it's relevant but, after urinating his condition seems to improve. I'm worried, but I have no idea how much a trip to the vet would run us, or if they could even find anything wrong.

Thank you.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This isn’t normal behaviour and he is clearly in pain during these episodes. He really does need to see a vet sooner rather than later.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I agree with McKenzie - a trip to the vet is in order. If you describe the behaviour to them as you have to us (especially that it can be connected to a full bladder) then the vet will know what to feel or test for. Online it would just be guessing. Does sound as if your dog is in some discomfort during the episodes. It is worrying when our dogs aren't well, so I would get it checked out.

J

lorilu, Lurcherlad and wee man like this.
  4. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Have you visited a Vet as your dog is in pain

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Irrespective of cost - your dog needs to see a vet imo

lorilu likes this.
  6. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Member

Poor little dog,there's obviously something wrong and it isn't going to correct itself.He needs to see a vet without delay.The cost of not taking him is likely to be far higher than the cost of a visit to the vets.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice