Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Intergrating new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Wellington21, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Wellington21

Wellington21 PetForums Junior

We have a 2 year old lab/ridgeback cross that we bought when we lived overseas. We had both her and her sister but lost her sister in January due to an aneurism. When we arrived back to the UK in June everything was good but then we felt Daisy was becoming a bit bored and lonely as she had lost all her bounciness. My husband bought a 10 week old lab pup at the weekend in the hope that this would help cheer her up. Now I know it will take time with them and it wont all be plain sailing but just wondered if anyone has some really good advice for me. I try to make sure that Daisy (my lab/ridgeback) has all the love and attention she normally would while trying to make sure the wee one feels loved too and not left out. Daisy was really good with the new arrival to start with but now seems to be less than amused and as soon as the wee one starts running about and jumping she wants to disappear. She will let her lie beside her and sleep on cushions in the lounge and i try and have them together as much as possible. To add to matters my husband has gone to work and will be away for a few weeks and my youngest daughter has gone off to school. Daisy doesn't seem to want anything to do with my other daughter and sticks to me like glue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It will take time. When I introduced Rudi (puppy) to Kilo (adult) he spent the first day or two just avoiding him, then seemed to come round to the idea that he was staying and they started to interact and play. As Rudi has grown - he is 11 months now - the bond between them has too.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be worried. Usually when a pup first arrives older dogs depending on how they are themselves temperament wise and also the temperament of the pup, usually do one of two things, either totally ignore them and wont give them the time of day in the slightest, or they will growl at the pup when they approach, if the pups persistent they will even show teeth, and even air snap not making contact. Really persistent pups can sometimes even be chased off at first. Its usually done to make sure the pup has boundaries and learns some manners so they learn they cant jump all over the older dog or drive them mad. Usually then once the older dog is satisfied the pups learned some manners and control, then you usually see the pup being allowed to lay and sleep with them when they are being calm and "good" and finally the older dog will then instigate play, and finish it when they decide.

It sounds like your older one possibly started playing and interacting and then may have realised her mistake so it now putting boundaries into place to ensure the pup is learning some manners and wont drive her mad.

I wouldn't force the issue just supervise to make sure the pup isn't driving the older one mad, and learning some manners and respect and to make sure the older dog isn't being pushed to far. You should find they will sort themselves out given time. Although give both attention I wouldn't make a big thing about giving either over attention at this stage. You can do some separate walking or training sessions inbetween too, to ensure that the pup gets bonding time with you, and the older girl still gets her one to one time aswell.

4. Wellington21

Wellington21 PetForums Junior

Thank you :)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How is it going?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice