Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

interesting vet trip!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by owieprone, Jul 9, 2009.

1. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

Our Neeps apparently has FLEAS! :cursing:

My first cat only ever had fleas once, and she was quite riddled with them, so of course i expected this to be the case with all flea infestations.

NOOOoooOOOoooOOO! APPARENTLY neeps (typical!) has a slight infestation, so small infact that i've only been bitten a few times over the last few months(when in bed, so of course put it down to mosquitos or midges). I checked neeps for fleas because of her behaviour (bubs doesn't scratch any more than usual, neeps is a scratching/licking machine) couldn't see a thing. OH has had no bites at all. I checked for mites and other such stuff, no signs.

Neeps has been getting worse over a few months and licks so much she has actually taken fur off inbetween her toes, hence why i didn't expect it to be fleas! She is of course allergic to them! poor bugger, so much so that she now has inflammed skin around her shoulders and neck, which is what prompted me to take her to the vets.

anyway she's had an anti-inflammatory injection (that was fun!), we've got spray for the house and frontline for the cats (luckily i've already wormed them)

Our other cat bubs doesn't seem to have any problems, but as she's darker it's harder to see flea dirt on her and she's not one for letting me monkey-pick her fur.

so just in case there are people on here as 'stupid' as me, just cos it's got fleas don't mean you'll know about it from them accidentally biting you! :cursing:

Nurse Lucy told me that to check if bits of dirt in your pets fur are flea poo put them (the bits of dirt not the animal) on a bit of damp white paper towel and squash the fleck of dirt, if it leaves a red stain it's flea poo, if it doesn't it's just dirt.

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I do hope Neeps feels much better soon. I know hoe she feels however as I am allergic to flea bites as well.

One of our cats Cleo (over rainbow bridge) had an allergy to fleas and ended up licking quite a lot of fur off.

3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i am allergic to heaps of stuff so know exactly how she feels too, poor wee monster.

Still she should be better in a few days so she can stop annoying the OH with her incessant licking and annoy him by chasing bubs instead lol.

Still can't believe it's fleas! at least she's got the decency to have something cheap wrong with her this time. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice