Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Interesting interpretation of the DDA

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by havoc, Jul 8, 2017.

1. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Just back from our morning walk and we encountered an off lead dog - no owner in sight. My dog was on a long lead, he isn't always but I tend to keep it on at the weekends because of the weekend walkers. Eventually the owner came into sight looking suitably flustered. I took the slip lead out of my pocket (carried for exactly this eventuality), popped it on her dog and offered it to her. The response was quite a surprise. Quite aggressively she told me her dog didn't need to be on a lead. I replied that it obviously did and in return was told that she was going to report me because if I have to walk my dog on a lead that proves he isn't under control.

I couldn't help but laugh and offered her my phone to do so but she declined :)

Sarah H, Bobbie, picaresque and 18 others like this.
  2. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

:Angelic I get that all the time. My reactive dog is my problem, their dog is lovely and friendly etc etc. It's quite difficult to point out what prats they are when Lola is reacting all over the place because they now are making a point of not recalling their dog, but also not moving away because they want to tell me how horrible my dog is. I know she is! But thanks for your kind understanding

SusieRainbow, MrsZee, Brrosa and 3 others like this.
  3. danielled

danielled Guest

Sounds to me like your dog was under control and hers wasn't.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Best interpretation I've heard yet of having an out of control dog :Hilarious

J

Sarah H, Happy Paws2, MrsZee and 4 others like this.
  5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Luckily my dog sits and looks bemused when we're approached by an off lead dog, especially a small one. It would have been a different story if the other dog was being walked on the lead and I take some interesting detours when we see other dogs :)

Lurcherlad and MiffyMoo like this.
  6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I always take mine off the path and make them sit until the other dog has passed. I have lost count of how many people think I'm doing it to make it easier for their dog to come and say hi

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Me too. No problems through the week, there are other dogs around but you get used to each other. Come the weekend it's a combination of idiot owners and dogs which haven't been exercised all week.

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

It's how the gen public see control orders unfortunately. Their dog is friendly (doesn't bite) so their dog could never be dangerously out of control!
    I've had a discussion with a sibe (wolf hybrid apparently) owner, he said only dangerous dogs should be put on leads :rolleyes:

9. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Mine is very friendly towards other dogs, but because I call her away if another dog is approaching or tell her to stop and wait until I catch up with her people automatically think that this means that she must be aggressive. Couple that with the fact that she's a GSD and they think that she is ready to maul anything that moves.

MrsZee, MiffyMoo and Calvine like this.
  10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I have the same thing with Isla as she is also very friendly, except that people then query if she is vicious or something and isn't that strange in a golden retriever:rolleyes:. The fact that I'm being polite and thoughtful seems to escape them.

Sairy, LinznMilly and Calvine like this.
  11. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Some dog owners are out of their depth in my opinion. Clearly her dog was not controlled (OP) and yours was, leashed or otherwise. Her outburst was extraordinary.

I had the opposite issue this morning in terms of which dog was leashed. I was walking Duch off lead through an area called the copse, its a pretty grassed off strip of land between a rough fenced off wild bit of land and the back garden walls of people houses. Duch and I were about 2/3rd of the way through it when she saw a something fascinating in a tree and she and I were walking around underneath the tree with me trying to spot whatever it was that had caught her eye.

At that point a woman came along from the opposite end of the copse towards us with a bulky staffordshire on a harness and said "We'll have to wait until HE'S gone". I didn't at this stage think much of her tone but at that point chose to ignore her rudeness.

As we walked in her direction with Duch close to me she started shouting at me "Put you dog on a lead!"

Duch was by side, nowhere near her dog and under my control at this point. She is put on a lead near roads, in areas where its necessary such as farms or areas where there are livestock or if she stops following instructions. I don't certainly wont put her on a lead because some other dog owner tells me too. None the less this individual was worried so Duch was told to "leave" then heel so she did so, did not approach this woman or her dog and just looked a bit bemused by this persons attitude if anything as she walked by my side.

"Put your dog on a lead" she shouted again as she became more agitated by my refusal to take instructions from her in how best to control my dog in this situation.

Her tone was now starting to get on my nerves so I said "Keep your dog on your lead away from us and you wont have an issue". "Its not my dog" she shouted as we passed her. Further exchanges occurred which I wont go into but at one point she called me a ruffian after I told her people like her with obvious bigotry towards GSDs get on my nerves. I can only assume in this persons minds a man with a German shepherd that doesn't take order from a passing stranger and shouts back when shouted at is a ruffian!

I found her attitude extraordinary but came to the conclusion she really was out of her depth.

12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe she was worried that your dog would run over if not on the lead, rather than being out of her depth.
    As she was obviously worried I don't see why popping a lead on for a few seconds was such an issue tbh.

OK her reaction was a tad OTT considering your dog didn't go over to hers, and after you ignoring her request the first time she should have just gone another way...but rather than being over dogged, she may have had far too many incidences where off leash dogs were allowed to go harass her so reacted the way she did.

13. ouesi

ouesi Guest

*shrug* if someone asks me to put my dog on a leash, it's really no skin off my back to do so. Most of the time I find myself in the position of having more control, so I try (don't always achieve it, but I do try) to be accommodating to someone who is struggling. Of course rudeness is never acceptable though.

This time of year one of our favorite walks in a local state park is usually interrupted by one or two out of control dogs. Last incident was a hugely obese lab who's owners could barely hold on to him as he pulled them towards us and our dogs. I had my daughter with me and we just moved off the trail as far out of their way as we could get. Should we have had to? No, but we had the dogs who were compliant, so why not? It meant the other walkers had more of a chance of getting by without incident, and my dogs were the "moveable" ones.

Or if another dog starts reacting to mine, I'll make sure mine aren't looking directly at the dog, and create distance as I need to. Again, I shouldn't have to, their dog should be under control, but it is what it is. None of us have perfect dogs and some of us have more work ahead than others. If I can get mine to minimize the incident, I will.

14. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yup, this is waaay more likely than any bigotry on her part given her breed!

I'd be taken aback if someone told me to put my dog on a lead, but then my dogs are always on the lead near other dogs anyway so it wouldn't be an issue.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Strange choice of word to insult someone I think. It's on a par with rogue, rascal and blackguard isn't it!

16. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

She said other things too (the exchanges I did not go into in this thread as stated in my post ) which made it abundantly clear she disliked GSDs and thought anybody that had one is a rough sort hence the ruffian comment.

I don't mind helping people that treat me and speak to me in a reasonably way. I agree with ouesi that in theory it is no skin off my back if asked to put my dog on a lead but in her case she was rude before we even met then proceeded to shout at me because of problems she has with the dog in her charge. Was her behaviour reasonable? I don't think it was. Should we just accept that sort of behaviour from dog walkers even if nervousness is the excuse for it? Again I don't think so. If people don't treat me with respect they have no right to expect respect in return.

kare, Blitz and Calvine like this.
  17. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

I didn't realise how strange people are till I got a dog.

There's a man who walks his chocolate lab at the same time I walk with Ted to work every day so I've run into him more times than I care for. His dog really doesn't like Ted which is fine whatever, not all dogs like each other and Teds entire so maybe he dislikes that who knows. Whenever I see him I go out of my way to avoid him. He knows his dog always goes for mine yet when he sees me he just lets his dog pull him over to mine. It's always on a lead but he just lets it strain at the end and makes no attempt to stop it getting to Ted. I've tried to ask him to keep it on a shorter lead as we go past but he just stares at me and doesn't say anything so I've given up! I suppose in that instance it counts as an out of control dog that's on a lead haha but definitely not in your instance!

18. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

She didn't request, she demanded by shouting "Put your dog on a lead" twice! Secondly I did not ignore her plight, I gave leave and heel commands which were followed and which she heard me give and saw Duch react too. Her continued tirade was both rude and unnecessary.

We don't have to tolerate unprovoked rudeness out on dog walks from anybody folks!

#18 cbcdesign, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I've always told my children (and try to model it for them too) that we treat people with respect not because of who they are, but because of who we are.

Like I said, if someone is having a bad day, a bad time with their dog, whatever. If I can help diffuse the situation it's no skin off my back. No I'm not perfect and I don't always achieve that, but I don't subscribe to the treat others in kind philosophy. If someone is being a jerk, I don't have to stoop to their level. That's a choice. To each their own though.

20. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

I believe respect is earned, not an automatic right but respect your model none the less. :)

I guess some are able to brush off rudeness more easily than others. Personally I find rudeness creates a sense of injustice in me that invites reaction. The older I get the less tolerant I am to unreasonable behaviour from people. I have bad days like everybody else too but I don't take it out on a perfect stranger.

Calvine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice