Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Interesting Comparison - Cavalier founder

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by comfortcreature, Jun 2, 2010.

1. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

It is fairly well accepted amongst those that know Cavalier King Charles history well that the breed founder, and a winner at Crufts in 1936, was most likely sired by a Papillon (Phalene type).

This is a photo of Ann's Son (founder) and below it a photo of a current Cavalier x Papillon cross. I think the resemblance is striking (curlier coat on Ann's Son, of course).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a critique from Crufts, 1936.

"I made Ann’s Son the best, also best of breed; he was shown in wonderful coat, is very sound and, in my opinion, is the most typical Cavalier which has yet been produced; this dog carried all before him as a youngster seven years ago, and then retired pro tem, only to be seen once more at the Jubilee Show, where he made his final bow to the public, and now retires in the full bloom of his beauty , never having known defeat."

LILLIAN C. RAYMOND-MALLOCK

CC

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

All those are cavalier x papillon? they look like full cavs. :eek:

3. comfortcreature

The three lowest photos are all of the same dog. For confirmation, if you look at the head shot you will see black in his ear fur - he is a parti-red sable, not a blenheim. The blenheim coloring is genetically different and sable has been bred out of the Cavalier breed.

(all Blenheim Cavaliers are (a't'/a't, e/e, s'p'/sp'), this parti sable boy is (a'y''/a't', E/E(or'e'), s'p'/sp')

The muzzle and head on today's show Cavaliers is very different from both of these dogs (the founder and the cross).

CC

#3 comfortcreature, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. comfortcreature

Seven, I just googled these as an example of some of those amongst today's winning/sought after Cavalier type.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All very beautiful dogs, but a demonstration of the difference from Ann's Son.

CC

#4 comfortcreature, Jun 2, 2010
  5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Ann's Son looked like a beautiful little dog. I prefer his type to be honest. :)

6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Cavaliers look a lot nicer without excess coats and ear hair - but so do most breeds.

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I much prefer the founders dog and the cav x papillion. I could even be tempted myself by one of those. :)

8. leashedForLife

:thumbsup:

9. comfortcreature

I have a parti sable spaniel mix that has a resemblance to the Cav/Pap cross, so I won't argue with those that have the same preference.

I was just being nosy on Flickr, and found the guy on this account as well - another very handsome Cavalier x Papillon. I don't know if gif images can be posted, so I'll post the link to his page and the tiny jpgs.

Saffi, Jude and Jordi. - a set on Flickr

[​IMG][​IMG]

CC

#9 comfortcreature, Jun 2, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice