Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Interdigital Cysts

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has anyone had any experience with these, and if so what was the treatment and long term prognosis?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I haven't but how are you and yours? :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They're ok. Alfie is never changing apart from a few new fatty lumps. Like the bloody duracell bunny; still walking miles and miles a day.

Oscar is doing well for a 14 year old. Still active, still a pain, but has nerve degeneration is his back legs, and has lost a fair bit of muscle mass from them. That said he gets around just fine, and has a zest for life.

Could have done without all this thick mud and these sodding cysts though.

4. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

My whippet has had 2 in the last couple of months.

The first time, I soaked the foot twice a day for 15 minutes in a warm, strong solution of Epsom Salts and the swelling had gone in a week.

She has one now that is also getting the Epsom Salt treatment, plus anti biotics and Silica to help draw out any foreign body that has got embedded. She has had the treatment since Thursday, the swelling has been getting progressively bigger, and this morning I can see a black spot at the top of it that I assume is said foreign body working it's way to the surface.

I have my fingers tightly crossed it heals within the next few days, as next week she is going under anaesthetic for an MRI scan, and one problem at a time is more than enough!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscars are all open, and pretty much leak on and off constantly.

He has to have a rest from exercise recently, and they healed over and didnt fill up again, but as soon as i take him out, it's back to square one.

He only has one actually between his toes; the other 3 are either on the side of his foot/front toe, or just above his main pads on his back feet.

My vet has just told me to keep squeezing them to allow the gunk to flow out, bathe in hibiscrub and to try colloidal silver.

Only the one on his front foot seems to bother him all that much, but then again he's not a dog that outwardly shows he is in pain.

Bloody things.

6. rona

Still going the old buggar :) :)
    Love the duracell bunny to describe Alfie :D

You thought he wasn't going to make last Xmas ;)

Put some pics on before you go this time :)

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im quite surprised he is tbh. He seems happy enough in general, and can still tolerate a fair amount of exercise. Can get from the base of Winterfold to the top unaided!

Pics are something im not in short supply of :D

8. rona

Thought not :D

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is something else called interigital Furunculosis, often thought to be interigital cysts but not cysts as such, dont know if this is any help details and treatment on the link.

Merck Veterinary Manual

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Sudocream used to help with one of my bullies, he got them off and on all his life :(

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I believe they are the same thing.
    I've been putting that on in the evenings, although he likes the taste so it doesnt last long unless i bung some food down his gullet to distract him :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice