Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Interactive Toys for cats to play by themselves

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by morael, Dec 18, 2020.

1. morael

morael PetForums Newbie

We're hoping to go on a holiday after New Year (Covid allowing!) - but slightly worried about our 2 cats as we only ever left them for 1-2 nights so far. We have a cat sitter coming twice a day when we're away, but because the cats are veryshy, the won't come out while she's here - they are still eating and using a litter tray as normal once she's left, but I'm worried they may get really bored dung the week we're away so can anyone recommend any interactive toys/home made solutions to get cats entertained without human presence?
    They are litter siblings, 1 year old and indoor only. Both are very active and currently we would play with them for approx. 1.5 hours per day. They love chasing wands and snack hunts but don't particularly enjoy playing with anything by themselves (we tried crinkle balls/ping pong balls/catnip mice and fish toys etc).
    Many thanks!

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi, the most satisfying thing for them, I would think, is access to windows with views of life outside. So, windowsills to sit or lay on & if possible, remove anything blocking their views, like blinds or voile curtains etc. If they can see people coming and going into their homes, or birds in trees, wildlife etc, that would be good. Of course there can be exceptions, for example if there is a neighbourhood cat that they could see that bothers them and they are frightened of. You should probably know by now, whether or not that is the case. The cat sitter should keep an eye on them too for any behavioural changes, like sudden or new growelling at the windows etc, but generally views from windows are a good thing. I recommend a windowsill bed (eg from Zooplus, or make one)... my Maxi Cat loves his & loves watching the world go by... in the safety of his home.

If my cat hid from the cat sitter, then it’s the wrong cat sitter. They should feel at ease with their cat sitter IMO.

#2 TriTri, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. TriTri

And lots of empty boxes to play in places to hide....

4. morael

morael PetForums Newbie

Thank you TriTri for the advice - no holidays for now with the new lockdown. I've moved the bird feeder so the cats can see it from the window and they were both captivated! Also made the front windows facing the street available and comfy with some bedding and bow one of them spends most of her time there watching the dog walkers go by.
    It's not the cat sitter specifically they hide from, they're both very timid cats and go into hiding every time we have a stranger in the house. I'm hoping they will slowly get used to the cat sitter (hence using the same person each time) if this becomes more of a regular occurrence, bit so far with the restrictions we only managed two short weekend trips where the cat sitter was needed. On both occasions the cats were hiding when she visited but they ate and used the litter tray as normal and they were the usual when we got back home.

TriTri likes this.
  5. TriTri

Aww that’s good. I’m pleased you’ve made the changes & your cats enjoy looking out of the windows now, at the birds, dog walkers and watching the world go by and with nice comfy bedding there! That’s lovely to hear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice