UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, Spooks is a rescue cat. He was brought in as he didn't get on with his Moggy friends and was overgrooming quite considerably. I'm under the impression, however, that with careful introductions and the right buddy, he may grow to like (or at least tolerate!) another cat's company. I feel this would be very beneficial for him, especially as he's an indoor boy.

Now, this will not be a serious thought until I move out, so perhaps a couple of years yet but I'm really wondering what to do about breeds. Here are the options I'm thinking about:

1) Siamese/ Oriental- Given that they'll be a similar temperament to Spooks- who is very typically Siamese (vocal, people orientated, bonkers :lol:)- I'm thinking he may get on well with another Meezer/Ori. However, at the same time, I don't know if he'll find it too stressful or threatening to have such a demanding feline friend.

2) Russian Blue- I have fallen in love with the breed, which sounds similar to Siamese in terms of being people-orientated and intelligent. However, they're very quiet, too, so may not be too stressful for Spooks (or me!) to deal with. They are quite playful, though, from what I've read, which might annoy His Royal Highness :rolleyes:

3) Maine Coon- I adore MCs. They are the most stunning breed, and are quite laid back, from what I've heard, so Spooks might not find them so intense to deal with. As they're so different to Siamese, though, I don't know how well they'd get along...

4) Ragdoll- Finally, I've been considering Ragdolls, as they are so laid back and affectionate. Perhaps they wouldn't bother Spooks for attention so much, because of this?

Sorry for the long post, I do overthink things quite a bit, but I'd hate to get a companion for Spooks and him be really upset by them. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Thank you! :D

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I think they all sound like fine choices and I will add RagaMuffin to that :D.

In keeping with what should become a rule, remember that we have breeders of most of those right here on the forum, so if you got a kitten from one of them, we'd all get to watch it grow up :cool:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they all sound like fine choices and I will add RagaMuffin to that :D.

In keeping with what should become a rule, remember that we have breeders of most of those right here on the forum, so if you got a kitten from one of them, we'd all get to watch it grow up :cool:
:lol: I'll try my best, when the time comes, to get a kitten from one of the PF breeders ;)

I had a feeling that people would add to my list, too :hand: Are Ragamuffins similar in temperament to Ragdolls? :)

·
Meeoow!
9,402 Posts
As you know, Spooks is a rescue cat. He was brought in as he didn't get on with his Moggy friends and was overgrooming quite considerably
Do you have any more details about the whys and wherefores? Were there lots of other cats in the house he came from? I've never been owned by a Siamese so am no expert but I'm always seeing lots of pics on here of them cuddled up with their siblings but don't know how they would take to 'new' cat!, aren't they supposed to be quite possessive of their owners?

As for inter-breed relationships as you know Mika and Rosso couldn't be more different...chalk and cheese both in personality and physicality and they get along just fine....

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any more details about the whys and wherefores? Were there lots of other cats in the house he came from? I've never been owned by a Siamese so am no expert but I'm always seeing lots of pics on here of them cuddled up with their siblings but don't know how they would take to 'new' cat!, aren't they supposed to be quite possessive of their owners?

As for inter-breed relationships as you know Mika and Rosso couldn't be more different...chalk and cheese both in personality and physicality and they get along just fine....
I don't know more details, other than he didn't like the cats in his household. I'll try and get hold of some archived info on Thursday, though, when I'm at the shelter.

I do have reservations about a new cat for the reasons you've mentioned- he's very possessive over me and I can see him being upset if another cat was to come into the picture. I don't know if I'd be selfish to bring another cat home :confused:

It's so difficult to gauge what to do, as I've not seen him with other cats (though he didn't seem bothered about the cats in the shelter, and he was surrounded by 20+ of them at some point...)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
My friends Mum had a Siamese that would not tolerate any other cats AT ALL!

She was very vocal and people oriented, but she would tolerate dogs. So after failing to get her a feline friend, she had a spaniel buddy instead!!

I suppose it very much depends on the cat. I would tred with considerable caution after Spooks's previous experiences. Although you said about other catS as opposed to one cat, so maybe the quantity was an issue for her?

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friends Mum had a Siamese that would not tolerate any other cats AT ALL!

She was very vocal and people oriented, but she would tolerate dogs. So after failing to get her a feline friend, she had a spaniel buddy instead!!

I suppose it very much depends on the cat. I would tred with considerable caution after Spooks's previous experiences. Although you said about other catS as opposed to one cat, so maybe the quantity was an issue for her?
Oh, they tend to like dogs do they? Hmm, I've always wanted a Border Collie :p

I guess I'll have to see what life throws at me. Hopefully, I'll have a decent job after I graduate and I'll be able to get a decent sized home to accomodate more furries.

I am umming and arring about the whole other cat thing, though. I don't like leaving Spooks alone when I go out, as he's not going out and interacting with neighbourhood cats but in the same way, he seems happy enough seeing me as his cat buddy :lol:

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
You know my opinion about what breed you should get :D

As you work in a rescue, could you not foster a kitten for the weekend just to see how spooks reacts?

·
Administrator
35,985 Posts
It really is difficult to know how Spooks would react to another cat of any breed. I have sold kittens to homes with resident Siamese and other breeds and it seems to have worked out in all cases. Likewise with dogs even though my kittens rarely get to meet any dogs (my step-daughter has a Border Collie which she brings over occasionally)
I believe Siamese do like company and if there is no human available perhaps Spooks would enjoy the company of another cat. He may have been stressed in his former home because there were too many cats.
Hard choice Jordan :(

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would have some reservations too in light of Spooks' history. He seems a lot less stressed than he was now he is living with you as a one cat household. Siamese do bond very closely to their people and whilst some are very happy to accept a companion others are most definitely not happy sharing the love.

Spooks must have cost his owners money yet he was given to a rescue for that reason so I can only imagine he does have issues. I have had a Siamese queen who would not tolerate any other cats even her own kittens once they matured, her daughters are sadly the same, though they do have each other for company. Dogs were not a problem but other cats really were and my queen, whilst a fab people cat, is far happier now she is an only cat.

Perhaps you will get a chance to see how Spooks reacts to other cats before the decision needs to be made. From the list you have given I would choose the Russian Blue - hypothetically speaking - as they are similar in temperament but not the same.

:)

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know my opinion about what breed you should get :D

As you work in a rescue, could you not foster a kitten for the weekend just to see how spooks reacts?
That's a good idea, actually- may try and follow that up. Hadn't even crossed my mind!

It really is difficult to know how Spooks would react to another cat of any breed. I have sold kittens to homes with resident Siamese and other breeds and it seems to have worked out in all cases. Likewise with dogs even though my kittens rarely get to meet any dogs (my step-daughter has a Border Collie which she brings over occasionally)
I believe Siamese do like company and if there is no human available perhaps Spooks would enjoy the company of another cat. He may have been stressed in his former home because there were too many cats.
Hard choice Jordan :(
It's so difficult. Part of me thinks if I take it slowly and introduce them properly, there's no reason why he wouldn't get on with another cat, and he would have some feline company. But on the other hand, he's come so far and is looking so well as a lone cat and I don't want to set him back again.

It won't be for a while yet, anyway, but I'm at a loss as to what to do, and which breeds would be more suited to him...

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have some reservations too in light of Spooks' history. He seems a lot less stressed than he was now he is living with you as a one cat household. Siamese do bond very closely to their people and whilst some are very happy to accept a companion others are most definitely not happy sharing the love.

Spooks must have cost his owners money yet he was given to a rescue for that reason so I can only imagine he does have issues. I have had a Siamese queen who would not tolerate any other cats even her own kittens once they matured, her daughters are sadly the same, though they do have each other for company. Dogs were not a problem but other cats really were and my queen, whilst a fab people cat, is far happier now she is an only cat.

Perhaps you will get a chance to see how Spooks reacts to other cats before the decision needs to be made. From the list you have given I would choose the Russian Blue - hypothetically speaking - as they are similar in temperament but not the same.

:)
Hmm, your queen sounds very similar to Spooks. I often think about how hard it must have been for his past owners to give him up, as he's such an affectionate little cat. He must have had significant issues for them to bring him into the shelter, and he was very stressed when they did :(

Thank you for recommending the Russian Blues, too, I think I am edging towards them, if I did decide to take the plunge :)

·
Meeoow!
9,402 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Siamese are the 2nd most likely purebred to be given up for rescue!! Now I don't know if that is because they are quite a popular breed or whether its because people don't do their research :crying: I think some people just don't really consider what they're taking on.... I for one ADORE the look of Siamese, I think they are stunning cats and spend ages swooning over pics on here but I do know that I would struggle with their loud vocals, I like my peace and quiet and I just know that a noisy Siamese shouting at me at the top of their lungs would drive me nuts!!!! :w00t: :nono::lol:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember reading somewhere that Siamese are the 2nd most likely purebred to be given up for rescue!! Now I don't know if that is because they are quite a popular breed or whether its because people don't do their research :crying: I think some people just don't really consider what they're taking on.... I for one ADORE the look of Siamese, I think they are stunning cats and spend ages swooning over pics on here but I do know that I would struggle with their loud vocals, I like my peace and quiet and I just know that a noisy Siamese shouting at me at the top of their lungs would drive me nuts!!!! :w00t: :nono::lol:
You're bang on there. They're definitely a Marmite breed, you either love them or you don't (that goes for looks and temperament, I think). I had wondered- as he wasn't too bothered about the other cats in the shelter- whether this was the case for Spooks. Perhaps the owners underestimated the demands of Siamese cats.

I, personally, was drawn to his vocality and his affectionate nature. I love that he's always glued to me, but I know that many people would be driven insane by this, especially as it's not typically seen as a 'cat thing', they're thought to be illusive and independent but that's certainly not the case for Meezers!! :eek:

ETA: What is the first most probable breed to be given up? Is it Persians by any chance? I know they're another breed that are underestimated, especially in terms of their upkeep and grooming...

·
Meeoow!
9,402 Posts
What is the first most probable breed to be given up? Is it Persians by any chance? I know they're another breed that are underestimated, especially in terms of their upkeep and grooming...
Yes you're correct :sad: I've pasted it below....

"Most cats that are in shelters are domestic long or short haired cats, simply because most of the cats in the world are domestics. If you're talking about 'breed' cats, the #1 breed surrendered to shelters is the Persian, and the #2 is the Siamese. These are cats that require a lot of attention, and they are also very popular with back yard breeders and kittens mills, so they are 'churned out' and sold unaltered, making them available (unfortunately) for breeding - and then they end up in shelters."

Wish people would do their bloody research before taking on the responsibility of these little lives, makes me so mad :mad2::mad2:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes you're correct :sad: I've pasted it below....

"Most cats that are in shelters are domestic long or short haired cats, simply because most of the cats in the world are domestics. If you're talking about 'breed' cats, the #1 breed surrendered to shelters is the Persian, and the #2 is the Siamese. These are cats that require a lot of attention, and they are also very popular with back yard breeders and kittens mills, so they are 'churned out' and sold unaltered, making them available (unfortunately) for breeding - and then they end up in shelters."

Wish people would do their bloody research before taking on the responsibility of these little lives, makes me so mad :mad2::mad2:
:( Working at a shelter means I see this ALL the time- people who get animals without first weighing up the pros and cons of them. So many get them on a whim 'because it will be nice' to have a dog, or rabbits are 'cute and cuddly' or cats 'don't need much care' :nonod:

I really wish people would really think about what they're doing and realise that these are living creatures, not disposable objects!! :mad:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes RagaMuffins are very similar to Ragdolls in personality - if not better!
Not that you're biased or anything :aureola: :p

How did they come about, out of interest? Were they originally Raggies crossed with something else? I know they've only been recognised as a pedigree breed by the GCCF quite recently...

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Exactly the same way as raggies - when raggies originated they came in all colours - but Anne Thingy decided only to carry on with the pointed cats - others carried on with the Muffins (this is in the US) - then they came to Britian a few years ago. To read the long version of the story have a look on my website.

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly the same way as raggies - when raggies originated they came in all colours - but Anne Thingy decided only to carry on with the pointed cats - others carried on with the Muffins (this is in the US) - then they came to Britian a few years ago. To read the long version of the story have a look on my website.
Ah, I see! That makes sense :) I'll have a read of your website now, I'm becoming slightly obsessed with the ped world now I have my lovely SpookyCat :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.