Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

integra renal wet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jenny armour, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

is this any good for crf cats, does anyone recommend it?

2. jenny armour

anyone urgently pls got to order now

3. jenny armour

thanks for answering i'll order it anyway

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I tried it, but it didn't get eaten, you may have more luck, it looks like the usual wet renal food, smooth and bland. Maybe if you add something to it.

I tried Kattovit which I had a little success with, choice of flavours helped.

The one that was eaten (some flavours) was the Beaphars one and one flavour was happily eaten by Miss Picky who doesn't need renal food.

5. jenny armour

thank you for answering
    i have ordered it anyway as i needed some renal ordered urgently. he has k/d wet and dry and a couple of other dry foods but i am trying to give him a selection
    where do you get kattovit from? i have tried kittyvit but that is a stimulant. i was told by the vet to put a little tuna or fish water on to make it a bit more tasty. the other trouble i am having is he wont drink enough water and it is worrying me. and yes i have a cat fountain and four bowls of water down but sometimes he will drink from a dripping tap. doesnt help the situation

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sorry only just seen this and didn't have clue anyway.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, same here.

Jenny, have you become a member of Tanya's CRF forum? Those guys will be more experienced with what you are going through that many on here.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Jenny, sorry my reply is "after the event" as you have ordered now. I tried all the renal wet foods for my cat with Chronic Kidney Disease. He refused to eat all 3 of the ones mentioned -- Integra, Kattovit (Zooplus), and Beaphars.

In fact he didn't really like any of the renal foods and was losing weight, getting weaker, with balance problems, digestive issues and mouth ulcers.
    8 mths ago the vet was recommending he should be p.t.s.

I responded by taking my cat off all renal food and instead putting him on good quality wet foods such as Grau Sensitive, to which I add a binder (Ipakitine). Also a little home-cooked meat as a treat several times a week, which he loves.

Within a few weeks he began gaining weight, and as time went on the digestive problems disappeared, as did the mouth ulcers, and his weight is now good. His kidney levels did not improve on the new diet, but nor did they get any worse either.

Tanya's website is not keen on renal foods -- the prevailing view is that cats, being carnivores, need lots of protein and will not cope well with a low protein diet.

9. jenny armour

i have her website on my favourites but am having trouble joining. i think i have to have a yahoo account?

10. jenny armour

well jacks creatinine has gone from 240 to 280 since august. although i asked about testing for phosphoros the vet said they only normally do this if the cat gets worse.

11. jenny armour

have managed to join tanya comprehensive guide to crf, just waiting for an email from the site to confirm

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Excellent; you will be in great hands there!

13. jenny armour

thank you.
    a little difficult for a cat that is so picky. up until quite recently he only ate dry and then started taking an interest in gourmet. now of course he has been taken off of this. take for instance he has refused all but about three biscuits for renal (currently he has a choice) and his kd this morning, but he is hungry. i cant seeing him eating any of these foods, he is such a fuss pot.
    in august he had a blood test and dental and his creatitine read 260 (he is 12) it should have been 212. after a week it went down to 240. well because of his problem with not drinking enough etc i had him bloodtested on thursday and it has come back as 280+. he is now on fortekor. the vet i saw reckons he should have been put on it on august.
    i have applied to join tanya's website just waiting for acknowledgement.
    chillminx how old is your cat, how long has he had crf and is he on fortekor.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Jenny, my cat will be 16 years old in 2 months time. He has been on Fortekor for almost 2 years. Fortekor lowers the blood pressure, which is indirectly a help to the diseased kidneys.

I do not even know what my cat's recent creatinine level is as I don't have it tested any more, as long as he is eating & drinking well and seems his usual self. The vet agreed there were was not much point in testing all the time and then fretting about his kidney levels, seeing as how there is nothing more to be done for him than is already being done atm.

Some cats with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) [as it now known by most vets, rather than CRF], can live quite a while with high levels of creatinine, and have a reasonable quality of life. However, the usual maximum life expectancy is 3 years from the date of diagnosis.

With diet, it is really important the cat with kidney disease eats regularly and gets some good nourishment, and if s/he doesn't like the renal diets then so be it.

Quality of life is important, and often the one thing a cat who is chronically ill looks forward to is a tasty meal of food he enjoys. I don't see any point in extending my cat's life for a bit longer if he is depressed and not finding anything in his life to enjoy each day.

As you have a fussy cat whose appetite is likely to be adversely affected by the kidney disease, if I were you I would find a good quality nourishing food that your cat enjoys eating, and can tolerate.

Digestive issues are fairly common in kidney disease, causing vomiting, but it is possible to find foods that are easy on the digestion. If the vomiting is intractable, then an H2 blocker (an acid suppressor) either Zantac or Famotidine can be prescribed.

Personally I would ask your vet to test for phospherous levels, so you know one way or the other if they are raised. If they are you will need to add a binder to your cat's food, if s/he is not eating the renal diets. Otherwise, there is no need to add a binder. I would not wait until the cat gets "worse" before testing.

Tanya's website is very keen on cats with CKD being given subcutaneous fluids regularly at home. (known as "Sub-Q's" in the USA, and "Sub-cuts" in the UK). I've found some UK vets support this practice, some don't. I have had 5 cats with CKD, and have used Sub-Cuts on 2 of them. (The other 2 hated it and would not co-operate). I didn't see a great deal of benefit really from giving the Sub-Cuts, but my cats with CKD were/are great drinkers, so they didn't get dehydrated, which would be the main reason for giving the extra fluids (though not the only reason).

#14 chillminx, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  15. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Sorry for the delay, I got the Kattovit from Zooplus, I may have some left if you would like me to send you some to try, just send me a PM.

I went through the list on Tanyas site for the various foods, then looked on here for advice and other peoples threads.

I am only dealing with 'a little bit of kidney disease' according to the vet and was handed a bag of dry food and a choice of the wet, I don't feed dry but have it in case I need to feed something he will eat at any stage. So far none of the wet has been eaten, any make.

Chillminx gives good advice and I would go with binders if needed.

Hobbs recommended a couple of foods to me a while ago:

petnatur BIO Rind & Leber 200g - Floyds Pfotenshop which has a higher level of protein and

Power of Nature Natural Cat Kaninchen 200g günstig kaufen

If you have read Tanyas site by now you will know that the best food is one that the cat will eat ;) I hope you have some success

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Jenny I'm about to dash out but a few thoughts so far.....

I'd be very surprised if a cat with a Creatinine of 240 - not to mention 280- didn't already have elevated phosphorous levels. ( Incidentally, are you sure the upper limit you quoted is 212 since this sounds rather high to me? ) It's vital phosphorous is controlled since it can make the condition progress faster so I do wonder therefore if raised levels could be responsible for the recent rise in Creatinine? Furthermore if elevated it could account for him being a bit picky with food.

Dehydration, of course may well account for some aspect of these increased levels so has a urine sample ever been tested? USG of urine will give a more accurate picture of the true concentrating abiitiy of the kidneys and helps to rule out dehydration as a reason/contributor for a rise in levels as opposed to CKD. Urine testing should always be run as a priority when assessing renal function. Another factor (increased readings) could be blood pressure......please do make sure the vet checks his BP each visit.

Additonally if Jack is a large muscular cat then these can have higher creatinine levels than those with a lower body condition score. This happens with Birmans, for instance.

17. jenny armour

hi
    although a raggie he isnt a large raggie and his weight this week was 3.54. in august i think it was 3.6
    the other test they did was a BUN? i was told the reading of that but i cant remember. i'm sure i was told his creatinine in august should have been 212. these were the only tests done on thursday, and they want to test him again in six weeks.
    today i managed to get him to a few kd biscuits this morning and he had some gravy from the kd this evening. he has just had a few more biscuits was was sick. he brought up the biscuits from tonight and was sick again with fluid. he hasnt drunk alot today.
    i was thinking of asking about ipakitine or something to put on his normal food or something he will eat. when i was feeding the others he kept coming up for some, i feel so guilty. he never eats the meat in food only the gravy and i have tried mashing it up but he wont eat it. i dont know if i can ipakatine on just the gravy.
    am still waiting to get onto tanya's website

18. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Hi, i would appreciate some advice on kidney disease, my Siamese has just been diagnosed with KD ,i notice last week he had suddeny lost weight, almost overnight it seemed, he was a very muscular cat, so the weight loss was very noticeable, took him to the vet straight away, he isnt eating much at all, but drinking a lot,
    I have tried him with various foods ,but the only thing he has eaten is a bit of chicken

He is sleepimg a lot,and seems very lethargic
    The vet gave him an antibiotic injection in case there was some infection, and vit B12 to stimulate his appetite,also an anabolic steroid jab
    I have to monitor him and unless he gets worse take him back in 2 weeks
    The vet said she wasnt sure if he had an enlarged kidney but she could feel a mass,which MAY be the enlarged kidney, but will see how he gets on for the next 2 weeks
    Thanks in advance

19. jenny armour

this is what i dont understand with jack, until i got this creatinine level in august there was no other symptons of crf, no weight loss (at least not yet but what he is eating, it wont be long i dont think), no excessive drinking only prefers to drink from tap, and until this week no loss of appetite.
    still waiting for tanya

20. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

Hi Jenny :) sorry to hear Jack isn't doing very well at the moment :( As you know , i've dealt with CRF in the past with my angel, Black . He wouldn't eat renal foods either so i decided to feed what he would eat (which incidentally was mostly raw ) with a binder on (renalzin) . Blacks phosphorous was high and the binder brought this down to normal levels :)

In 3 years Blacks kidney numbers hardly changed and the CRF was not the cause of his passing.

I would most defintely get a phosphorous test if i was you . The most important thing (imo) is that Jack eats , be that renal foods or not :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice