Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insuring a puppy before collection.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Poochie123, Nov 25, 2021 at 2:42 AM.

1. Poochie123

Poochie123 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We're collecting our new family member in a couple of weeks and I want to get pet insurance set up ASAP.

Just wondering if anyone here been able to insure their pup/kitten/etc before collection or do we need to wait until we've bought him home?

Thanks.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That's such a good idea. So many people get pup home, even with breeder insurance, then find pup has a problem. It's then excluded from any further insurances. Plus anything related is also excluded, it's amazing what insurance companies can manage to exclude!!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question ,but I'm sure a few emails to companies will answer that for you.
    Maybe update on here for others future reference :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As a puppy owner I think you can only take insurance out when puppy is 8 weeks old. So the age they are ready to leave unless a toy breed.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Breeders often arrange a few weeks free to get you started.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I've always thought that was rather dodgy, not by breeders but insurance companies. If you have a problem in the first weeks, you then try to take out your own insurance, the premium is much higher and they won't cover the issue.
    Best to have your own insurance from day one of collecting your pup

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Often microchipping offers free insurance too, this isn't necessarily the breeder per se but most puppies should now be microchipped.

I would like to choose my insurance though

rona likes this.
  7. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

New owners can only take out insurance at 8 weeks of age and once the puppy is in their possession - accidents are covered immediately, often there is a 14 day wait for any illnesses to be covered.

Breeder's can provide 4 weeks free insurance, sometimes 5 weeks depending on the company - it costs the breeder and new owner nothing, the breeder's simply have to show they're registered with an organisation such as the KC.

Breeder's insurance with PetPlan - you get 4 weeks free cover, covers up to £4,000 for accidents, illnesses, physiotherapy and behavioural if required with £85 excess to pay. If the puppy is treated using the free insurance, if you continue the cover with PetPlan they won't count as a pre-existing condition.

This is often the insurance most vets will try to give you at the puppies first health check too.

If the puppy has been seen for a previous condition while in the breeder's care - it isn't covered by the free insurance, or any other insurance unless you look to take out insurance which covers pre-existing conditions.

JoanneF likes this.
  8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

My puppies came already insured for 4 weeks then we had to sort our own out, Amber came with Pet plan and we stayed with them although I did like them. With Dillon after the 4 weeks we changed to Sainsbury's much better and a little cheaper not much but we never had any problems claiming. I would highly recommend them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice