Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tonybaloney36, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Tonybaloney36

Tonybaloney36 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I just wanted to post a warning about pet insurance. A few weeks ago I took my cat to the vet as she was losing weight and not eating. The vet found she had a mass inside her which he thought may have been cancer. He performed a biopsy and thankfully it turned out to be a gastrointestinal infection which caused an inflammation which was treatable rather than something more sinister. After treatment she is now fine. However, when I tried to claim from Pet Protect Ltd they said her illness was not covered by the insurance. So even though the same illness is covered in dogs and even though the early part of the treatment was an investigation for cancer, they said they were not liable for a single penny of the vet's bill under the policy. My vet said it was astounding that the illness my cat had was not covered under the policy and they had never come across this before. My cat is 8 years old and I have been paying for this policy since I had her as a kitten. I was astonished to find that I have been paying for a policy with such limited cover. And yes, I know I had the policy to read, but how many of us are expert enough to understand what likely cat illnesses are or aren't covered.
    I just wanted to warn everyone to be careful, because I thought I had done the responsible thing in insuring my cat to protect myself from big vets bills, but despite this being a fairly serious illness which needed investigation and treatment, my insurance did not cover any of it and I have just had to pay a £700 vets bill.
    If you are looking for insurance, I would recommend avoiding Pet Protect Ltd. If you already have a policy with Pet Protect Ltd it would be worth checking the wording carefully and considering cancelling the policy to find an alternative that actually does protect your cat. I have now cancelled my policy with them as it is practically useless and will look elsewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice