Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Insurance

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Ffreddie, May 13, 2019.

1. Ffreddie

Ffreddie PetForums Newbie

I have read a lot of posts about Agria being the only insurance that covers breeding, but also a lot of people saying don't touch them with a bargepole. Those posts were in 2015 though so just wondered if they may have improved since.
    Also, would you take out a breeding policy on your kitten straight away or take out a lifetime cover and then change it to cover breeding in a couple of years when she's ready?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have had Agria breeding risks cover for two of my girls over the last four years or so - I didn't renew late last year.

I know they have a poor reputation but for the two claims I made, I found them perfectly okay. One was for a very hefty out of hours c-section and the other for a leg injury and x rays.

The only slight niggle was that they refused to cover pre-anaesthesia blood tests so I had to pay £80 of the bill (plus excess) myself.

I think the Agria breeding risks cover is actually pretty good value for money... That said, they offer considerable discount on a new policy but really do hike the premiums over the next two years which is why I didn't renew last time.

Breeding risks cover only comes into force once the policy has been in place for three months so I personally think it's best to time the start date of your policy accordingly.

3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Your girl has to be over 12 months before breeding is covered too, so I would take it out when she's young to get rid of the 12 week period that @gskinner123 mentioned, and then you can activate the breeding cover from 12 months

gskinner123 and Ffreddie like this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

2 years would be an extraordinarily long time to wait to mate her. No point in a breeding policy for now, but read the small print carefully to work out the most cost effective time to change an ordinary policy to a breeding one.

chillminx, gskinner123 and Ffreddie like this.
  5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Yes I think they are the only ones to cover breeding risks. They cover offered is good and in my experience they pay out promptly but as @gskinner123 says the price jumps alarmingly at renewal, although it must be said Agria are not alone in doing that. One thing I find immensely annoying about them though is that you can only make changes to your cover at renewal time and the terms of cover effectively leaves your first litter uncovered as by the time you've waited until she is 12 months old, waited for your renewal, then waited the further three months until cover kicks in you may well have the first litter on its way (and they won't cover it if the cat was mated before the 3 months is out even if the litter is born after that timescale is over!).

6. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

I believe the Agria breeders risk changed recently. My girl is 11 months and already has the breeders risk on her policy and has done since April but we can’t claim for 12 weeks (we don’t have a litter due yet anyway)

gskinner123 likes this.
  7. gskinner123

There was always some confusion amongst breeders about when breeding risks cover kicked in and I ended up speaking with Agria.

Timed correctly, it works in your favour, if you add it (or start a new policy that includes breeding risks) a little more than twelve weeks prior to your queen's due date. Pregnancy - or rather the part of her pregnancy that falls within the 12 weeks - problems will not be covered but full cover is in place for her and her kittens on expiry of the 12 week period.

8. Rufus15

That's not the information I've been given from Agria, I spoke to them this week.

If the pregnancy falls within the 12 weeks, neither the pregnancy nor the litter is covered.

Tigermoon likes this.
  9. Raggie08

It seems they tell people different things.

I know my girl is covered already for it but we are still in the 12 weeks exclusion period. Xx

10. Rufus15

They tell me different things every time I call, so it doesn't surprise me :rolleyes: they've cocked up with my breeding cover so now I need to wait another 12 weeks, I'm not happy with them

11. Raggie08

I don’t blame you, I prefer Petplan but they don’t do breeding cover :( would be so much better if they did x

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

It appears that the staff within Agria don't know what the company policy is if they are putting breeding risk cover on cats under 12 months and saying they'll pay out on litters conceived before the 12 week deadline. As @OrientalSlave says always read the policy documents.
    20190518_090808.jpg 20190518_090750.jpg

Rufus15 likes this.
  13. Rufus15

Interestingly there it doesn't say cesarean exclusions. I've been sent a screenshot on Facebook where someone has said a C-section isn't covered if the cat hasn't been insured for a year previous with Agria

14. Raggie08

Updated post below after speaking to a manager at Agria.

#14 Raggie08, May 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 11:54 AM
  15. Raggie08

Had it clarified and they will be speaking to their marketing people to put a post out on their Facebook page.

Breeders risk can not be activated until 12 months of age however the breeding risk can be added on to the policy at 9 months of age. As long as the cat goes to stud at least 1 day after there first birthday then you will be covered, the 12 weeks exclusion will be finished if you put it on at 9 months of age.

Rufus15 likes this.
  16. gskinner123

I spoke to someone in their compliance department, not fully trusting the advice of someone in their sales team. They confirmed cover was in place for breeding risks so long as the actual birth fell outside of the 12 week period; ie the cat could be pregnant within the 12 week period but there would be no breeding risks cover in force.

In fact they paid out for the c section with no quibble in the very scenario above.

Rufus15 and Raggie08 like this.
  17. Rufus15

Thanks both, that's reassuring!

Raggie08 likes this.
  18. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I would say the breeder got lucky as that is definitely against the policy terms. I certainly wouldn't expect to be paid for such a claim every time.
    There is no such policy. So long as breeding cover is bought and the 12 weeks has passed then they will pay for emergency c-sections.

19. Rufus15

That's what I thought, thank you

20. gskinner123

Read the policy wording again.

In sections 6a and 6b which covers complications of giving birth, there is no exclusion for pregnancy/birth related treatment which first occurs outside of the 12 week period. This is why they paid my c-section claim.

It is ONLY section 6d, relating to cover for puppies and kittens, which excludes cover for kittens if any part of the cat's pregnancy fell within the 12 week period.

Edited to add - I wasn't particularly concerned about the exclusion of cover for kittens in those circumstances. For me to claim under that section, it would need to be something pretty drastic and affecting most or all of the litter. Having enquired with them, the policy excess is payable for each kitten, not per litter or per vet visit if one had to take, say, two kittens to the vet. In my opinion, this makes the cover for kittens section almost worthless.

#20 gskinner123, May 19, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 11:49 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice