Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

insurance /vet own petplan

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by amberspy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. amberspy

amberspy PetForums Member

as some of you mite know ive found my breeder for a cav pup:D
    which are due in april and home end june
    ive done lot my homework and brought supplys etc
    one thing im not sure about is we defo get pet insurance ,but not sure if i should should take the vets own pet plan insurance or go to big company like petplan etc any advice would be fab

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would of thought the Vet was acting as a broker for Pet Plan and offering the same policy.
    Which ever company you decide to go with - make sure you have Life Long cover and look at the terms of the excess.
    Some companies state the excess is a fixed amount ie £75 others it's a percentage of fees for example 10% of £7000 would mean you finding £700 to cover the excess, others even do a combination of both.

This should explain what I mean by life long cover

3. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

If it's the vet's own plan it's not likely to be insurance - it's more likely to be some sort of saving scheme. OTOH vets do sell Pet Plan directly. I wouldn't use your own vet's scheme. What happens if you move? Or the vet shuts down? The big problem is that once you settle on a company it's almost impossible to change and no company will insure you for anything your puppy previously had.

My advice: Make sure your get 'lifetime' or 'lifelong' cover and READ THE POLICY before buying. There are links off my insurance web site (see below) to companies that are known to be ethical and that will actually pay out without a fight. The most popular companies are PetPlan, M&S, Argos and John Lewis. You might also consider VetsMediCover BUT they don't offer all the added extras the others do and they'll only pay your vet directly, so you'll need your vet to agree.

4. amberspy

amberspy PetForums Member

yeah your rite its vets own plan ,i just checked again didnt have my glasses on lol
    will defo get life time insurance for my pup ,cant wait ,im like a big kid lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice