Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance time....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Staysee, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

So even though JJ is gonna be indoors, i still wanna get him insured just in case....the pack the lady gave me included 'pet plan' insurance but i wanna ask you guys if pet plan is good or if theres someone else you prefer?

Obviously theres so many options when it comes to insuring and things i should look out for, but if someone can recommend one it'd make it alot easier, cos i've read that some dont cover for elder cat problems....well i just want a proper lifetime insurance, no matter his age or illness.

2. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

I asked about insurance on here when we first got Yuki and most people said they were with Pet Plan and would recommend it :)

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Petplan is very good, my vet recommends it and uses it herself :)

I'm not sure if it is more expensive to insure a ped rather than a moggy, based on the 'financial value' of the cat.. :confused:

4. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Just a thought, but if you are insuring a pedigree, do you have to declare the breed and how much you paid for it?? Since most vets don't know a great deal about different breeds of cats... :confused:

Surely then you could insure it for the same rate as a moggy? It's not really dishonest, as a cat is still a cat and prone to the same kind of illnesses and treatments. Yes a ped may be more likely to have certain health conditions, but will be less likely to go outdoors and get injured that way!

6. Britishshorthairbabies

Britishshorthairbabies PetForums Member

Very worth it. Petplan have just paid out for my teddy due to him being pts and all his vet bills. X

7. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

yes you do have to declare breed and how much you paid. Certain breeds are more disposed to various illnesses - persians PKD, coonies and raggies HCM and so on

8. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Im not sure, but will look into it as im doing it!

He was adored at the vets today, the nurse wouldnt stop fussing him and said it was her second ragdoll that day and she's hardley seen one before but did love him.

He was a darling and even cuddled up to me when i held him. Looking forward to him being fully sorted and properly one of our cats

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I thought the only reason you declared the purchase price was for the death or lost clause.

As I adopted Cookie the purchase price was zero.

10. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

Yuki's adoption fee was £70 but funnily enough we didn't opt for the extra option of being paid the 'purchase price' on the event of her death. 'Oh, our cat died, at least we have £70!' I get that when people spend £££ on pedigree animals they might want that money back to buy another one, but it just seems sad to me, like getting a refund or something.

11. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

If you do look at my site be sure to click the 'Free Report'. It'll probably answer any questions you might have.

In regard to declaring the pedigree - yes, it should be declared because otherwise you are committing fraud (and that can mean a fine or imprisonment). Normally, pedigree animals cost a lot more too and most insurances cover death/loss benefits. If that's not important to you maybe you should look at Vets Medi Cover which only covers illness and accidents. (There's a link on my site).

I've tried to order the companies on my website in order to reflect benefits offered, cost, how good they are at paying out, degree of excess charged, etc. I recommend you start at the top and work downwards until you find one you like :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice