Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ghostlove, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ghostlove

ghostlove PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm new! My kitten Valen just arrived with me today. I'm not new to pets (I have five fancy rats and have kept rats for eight years) or to cats (I had one for a couple of years before he left me for someone else) but I am new to kittens, and have decided that as he's going to hopefully be with me for life (he's an indoor only cat!) I would like to take out pet insurance to cover anything nasty that might befall him.

However I am totally baffled by all the different pet insurances out there! I'm looking for recommendations and information on what I should be looking out for and what I should avoid.

Thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to getting to know you all!

2. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

Most of the facts you need to know about insurance for your cat can be found at Cat Insurance.

I'd advise you to get 'lifetime' cover as it's impossible to swap to a different insurer once your cat has been treated for anything because any other insurer won't cover you for that condition. Lifetime cover will go on and on paying out for the same thing as long as you pay the premiums.

There will be a 2 week (approx) delay between the start date of your insurance and the time you can claim, so you should act as quickly as possible. I can't advise you as to which company is best - because its your particular needs that need to be met. You can be assured, however, that the companies on my web site have all been reviewed and checked to make sure they provide a good, ethical service.

Ideally, decide on the level of cover and then get quotes from all the companies that offer the cover you want. Read the policies before buying - the major cause of complaint about insurance is from people who think they are covered for something and then find their policy excludes it.

Buy online - most companies give a first year discount if you do.

If you need any more help fell free to send me a PM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice