Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance for old dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Andromeda, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

Today my insurer send me policy renewal information for my 9 years old Max.
    They double annual premium and now it is 360 a year and monthly payment: 32 pounds!!!(Policy is life time, cover up to 7500)
    This is a lot and I cannot afford to pay it.
    I found More Than but there is a excess 70 + 20% costs
    And AXA with only 26 monthly, 75 excess but this is a cover to maximum amount of insurance 7000
    Maybe I should take a look on something less expensive? Just like cover up to 5000 or less?

Any idea?

Max is a mongrel.

#1 Andromeda, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

What breed is Max? I would be pleased if Rupert got to 9 and I was paying £32 a month, his is almost £24 and he's only 2.5 years old :nono:

Do you still want lifelong cover and has Max had any illnesses which will be classed as 'pre existing'?

In terms of annual policies I think Churchill are quite good and relatively reasonable, but they are just an annual policy. Argos Platinum is Lifelong and who I am with, £65 excess.

AXA sound OK from what you posted :)

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

:scared: if you try an Argos quote make sure you are sat down!

I just quoted Rupert as if he was 9 years old. £64.16 :cryin:

I best get a good job :rolleyes:

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Awful isn't it? I had the same thing in January with Argos. I've still got my 9 yr old insured with them because its lifelong policy but I increased the excess and she's now insured for £4,000 instead of £7,000. My 2 yr old is also insured with them on the £7,000 cover and the total per month for the two dogs is just over £26.00 which is reasonable.
    My 12.1/2 yr old is no longer insured because the premiums were ridiculously expensive but I do have money put aside for her just in case.

5. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

I'd try Axa, we switched our old cats to them and the premium wasn't that high really, and they don't add 30% to the excess just because the animal is 8 years old, like some companies (Pet Plan, I'm looking at you!).

6. Andromeda

It is awful! If I think that my last dog lived 18 years...
    I used a go compare website and if I want to pay less I have to change a sum of cover.
    I really start thinking that better will be put money aside than pay for insurance. and take something less expensive.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I think all policies tend to go up considerably above a certain age, and most as well as making you pay the excess make you pay a percentage of the rest of the claim too. Age about 8 yrs seems to be the favourite Some companies wouldnt cover dogs over a certain age full stop or didnt use too, and if they did the premiums are considerable and a lot do make you pay a percentage too. Another thing that you will need to consider is anything your dog has had in the past, will likely be classed as a pre existing condition, so you wont get coverage. I changed one of mines last year because the premiums had doubled in one go and he was only 4half
    that was with more than and the year before they had also introduced that as well as the excess I had to pay the first 10% at his age. Ive changed to pet plan for him, and they have put on a restriction for eye disorders, all he had was something in his eye, and got an infection, yet they have blanketed eye disorders. Although I can apply to get it lifted but would require full records and a letter from the vet.

So you need to be very careful about changing, What might save you a few pounds a month on premiums could end up costing you dear in the long run.

8. Andromeda

Thank you.
    Any way I have to think twice...

9. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

I'm afraid you've run up against the simple fact that the average life expectancy for dogs declines rapidly after 8 years and as they get older they tend to suffer from age related conditions. In fact, it's quite hard to get new insurance on an 8 year old dog.

Having said that - try John Lewis, whose policies are underwritten by AXA. They don't have an upper age limit and they have been recommended by many users. I have others on my site that may do it - I think Sainsburys does but they don't do a lifetime cover.

Unfortunately the idea that pre-existing conditions can be excluded by new insurers does tend to lock people into an insurer for life.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In all honesty for the coverage you have and if its life long cover too and considering the age of your dog it doesnt sound too bad, especially if you only have to pay the excess and they havent introduced that you have to pay a percentage of the claim too each time. (Double check that though in the small print as they may/could sneak that one in)

My Malamute is now with pet plan lifetime 6000 per year for vet bills ok he is a pedigree and they tend to be more and admitted I come under London (Area counts too) but his is £45 and he is only just coming up to 5 in May.His
    excess is £100.

Nans Only just turned 2, and a cross mal/sibe and hers is £30.50 the renewals just come in thats for £6000 per incident or illness per year Life time cover. with a £69.00 excess. That was with Animal Friends, and although on the slow side, they have paid out everything, which must have come to getting on to 3000 plus in the last 2 years. I have had 2000.00 since December.

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I put money aside for my old dog instead of having insurance as it was too expensive, he lived for 17 years and I always had enough money to pay for his treatments.

Mongrels are generally healthier than pedigrees so you may be lucky like me and the savings cover any medical bills.

#11 metaldog, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  12. Andromeda

I think I will do the same, switch to AXA
    Also I checked Sainsbury's policy and big letters are saying: ... o_O line starts with "if your pet is under 9..."
    I'm going find a small print then.

#12 Andromeda, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice