Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance for new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jmb5000, Sep 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM.

1. Jmb5000

Jmb5000 PetForums Newbie

Hi all we pick up our new puppy early October and I'm wondering when we insure him...

First I believe I need to check if he's already insured by the breeder as I read to overlapped policies could invalidate both.

I also read to insure him before taking to the vet for 1st check up as any pre existing conditions are taken into account with a new policy. But his 1st vet visit should be asap after he's home.

So do I organise the insurance start date from the date he's home? Or just set it up online that day?

I know there's a waiting exclusion period of 14 days and I've been told you can't insure before you own* the pet (*is that the day we pay/pick him up? Or the day we change the chip details?)

So is best bet to setup as possible when we get him home and (assuming he doesn't have insurance cover set up by the breeder which I need to check) and pray nothing happens in the first 14 days? Or is there a better way?

Im thinking of pet plan at £26 monthly with a first year discount. I did think about self insuring putting away a little each month but then read horror stories of ££££ bills in the early years which we wouldnt yet have enough saved for. So think insurance best bet.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If he's KC reg he should come from the breeder with 2 week's insurance with PetPlan, and there is usually an option to just carry on the insurance meaning you get no gaps. Best to ask the breeder yourself so you know exactly what the situation is.

Jason25 likes this.
  3. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Both mine came with free 4 week insurance which you can keep going or change. Speak to your breeder

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice