Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance for multi dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bearpaw, May 23, 2010.

1. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Is there such a thing as insurance for several dogs? as in one insurance that covers several dogs rather than each dog done individually?
    Obviously i know most insurance companies give discounts on 2nd ,3rd dogs etc but it would be soooo much easier to have one single policy that covers several dogs for a set price.Does anyone know of such an insurance?

2. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I havent found one yet, just been checking companies as our 5's policy is due up, found the best quote so far is from a company called The Green Insurance company, they also make a donation to a charity on your behalf for going to them. seems they have a pretty good record, looking at customer reviews?

Mo

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Thankyou Mo,will take a look.I wish more/some companies would!!!

4. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

sorry i havent come across 1 yet either :( i have all mines on the 1 insurance but they'll pay out seperate for each :)

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Iv come to the conclusion such an insurance doesnt exist,which is such a shame really.its not even as though the insurance companies would lose out.

6. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Problem is that each dog carries its own separate risk so the only time you'll get 'group' insurance is for new puppies under a breeder's policy.

If you want 'pet charity' insurance Animal Friends, PDSA and Healthy Pets should also be considered. Details of all three can be found on Dog Insurance Compare. All the profits from these go into the charities, rather than just a donation.

But please make sure that the insurance you buy covers what you want, rather than whether or not the vendor contributes to charity. You might be better of buying elsewhere and donating the difference to a charity of your own choice.

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Many thanks for your reply and the link.
    I know each dog will have seperate risk.Iv had dogs now for 25years and never used an insurance claim yet! i know i am very lucky and i dont take this for granted.
    But statistically,say for 3 or 4 dogs,what is the likelyhood of a claim for one dog,two or three in one family? Youd have to be a bit unlucky for it to be 3 or 4 dogs that you claim for.
    So,for instance,if you have 4 dogs covered on one policy,and only one needs a treatment or has an illness that you claim for,the insurance company would still make their money. But youd have the peace of mind knowing they were all covered.
    However because of the high cost of individual insurance policies,im certain it puts people off.

8. Agadoo

Agadoo PetForums Junior

that's just one of the thing you have to accept when you deal with pet insurance

there are deals for multipet discounts though so that's at least a consolation...

also, i know it's easier to get all your dogs insured with the same provider but it may be cheaper to have some insured with one and others with another.

9. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Pet insurance is expensive - no question. But then, so are vets bills :)

As for likelihood of claim.... we had a miniature dachshund and a German Shepherd. The daxi suddenly developed a stomach problem and wasn't insured. Amongst other bills was one of well over £1,000 just for an examination at Bristol Vet School - and that was about 7 years ago. Luckily, at the time I could afford it. The GSD developed a spinal problem that lasted the rest of her life. She was insured and the insurer paid out every year until she passed away - hundreds and sometimes thousands each year. Statistically it was unlikely we'd get 2 severe illnesses - but we did.

The problem is that the insurance companies work on the basis of risk. They know that, say, only 1 in every 5 dogs gets ill. But what they don't know is which one. So, if you have 5 dogs they don't know if one of yours will become ill or whether all five will become ill (leaving 20 other healthy dogs elsewhere). That's why each one is insured separately.

The discount for multiple dogs, offered by quite a few insurers, is simply a ploy to keep you with the same insurer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice