Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance for Cockapoo puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by VeeCP, Sep 19, 2020.

1. VeeCP

VeeCP PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We are going to pick up our Cockapoo puppy at nine weeks old, so will have to have the 10 week vaccination a week after picking him up.

I want to take out pet insurance when we bring him home at nine weeks (probably the boughtbymany fixed policy with 20% co-pay), but being ultra cautious (and glass half full type of person), I’m worried that the vet may find an health issue with him at the vaccination and we won’t then be covered because the insurance has only been running for 7 days at that point.

is it possible to take out the health insurance when the dog is still with the breeder as we have paid the deposit, or do we just have to wait until all money is handed over?

The other option is to wait until 11 weeks for the second vaccination (14 days of the policy will have elapsed), or is this not doable (and might invalidate insurance anyway)?

Thanks for any help on this,

VC

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If the vet finds anything wrong it is likely to be a pre existing condition anyway unless he breaks his leg on the way to the vet! I think you are over thinking things. 10 weeks for first vaccination is not set in stone but you want to be able to get him out as soon as you can. 9 weeks is a week older than usual for getting a pup. You could just insure him at 8 weeks, I am sure they do not ask if you have him in your possession.

Burrowzig and Sairy like this.
  3. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

And good breeders will initiate a free months insurance. Mine came with Pet Plan whom I use for my other dig so ideal as 5hey are brilliant!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice