Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Insurance claim question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ilovemyfluffykitty, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Ilovemyfluffykitty

Ilovemyfluffykitty PetForums Newbie

My cat last week was taken ill with suspected urinary problems we took her to the vets and she was given a ultrasound and some medication. Then later that night she was admitted into the hospital for the weekend due to a medication reaction. Then a few days ago the vet wanted a urinary sample which has came back abnormal (its shows casts). The vet wants another sample in two weeks time after she has had a chance to heal and complete her medication treatment.

My question is so far we have a 1000 pound bill for all this. I'm planning on going through the insurance but am I okay to wait the extra two weeks until she has had the other urinary test and we have the final bill for all her treatment before contacting the insurance?

I'm not sure how this works i'v never had a sick pet before.

2. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

We are with Petplan. We’ve regularly had bills of over £1k when our boy had heart failure. I think the issue will be with your vet and how quickly they want paid. Ours was always happy to wait as we had insurance in place.
    I see no problem with hanging on for two weeks. Our Archie was in the vet hospital for nearly a week anyway.
    B

3. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Who’s your insurer?

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Unless I have a large bill to pay I only claim once a year for the whole years amount , Meeko is insured with Pet Plan.
    If you do delay making a claim make sure you don't straddle 2 policy years or you will have 2 excesses to pay , I assume you have life cover and not annual ?.
    If you are not sure give your insurer a call to clarify the situation with them.

5. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Petplan

6. Ilovemyfluffykitty

Ilovemyfluffykitty PetForums Newbie

The insurance is with healthy pets.

I made the claim back in june so I shouldn't be at risk of standing two policy years.

I am just more confused at when I should be making the claim.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm a bit confused about the above statement, do you mean you took out the insurance in June last year or the claim goes back to June last year ?
    If you took out the policy in June 2020 then I would assume you have until that date to make any claims incurred in the policy year without stradling 2 policy years that is certainly how Pet Plan works but as I have already said it might be best to contact your insurer for clarification.
    You didn't say whether this is a life time policy /an annual policy or what ever else there is available
    as this could make a difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice